Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Made a really stupid joke at work?

I’m going to get fired I just feel it in my heart. My job and work environment makes a ton of perverted jokes, anything under the sun. So my coworker and I passed a park and he asked if I wanted to sit there and said I can’t bc last time I did I was put on a list. I’m not on a list, it was something so stupid of me to say, he did make jokes about it later, I didn’t go into anything else about it. You can even look me up and see I’m not that kinda guy, and I’m not vulgar. Just we have this anything goes environment and my friends have joked like that and he told my boss and coworkers, made jokes about it, and even my boss and coworkers laughed a lot about it. Am I ok? Am I screwed? 

Favorite Answer

EVERYONE is on a list. Actually most are on several thousand lists.

• D1 month agoReport

Oh, I’m so using that IN CASE anything comes of that. Thank you. 

Try again when you can demonstrate the fiction writing ability of a 4th grader.

• D1 month agoReport

Huh?

Thank you, everyone, for your answers.

I realize that in this PC world, I shouldnt have said anything but I also am starting to realize maybe it is just something silly and stupid worry about. It can be proven I am not on any list, plus if anything comes up, it is out of my control. Most people at my job do know I make jokes all the time, so I would assume that they will assume this is a joke. I cant assume anything but still. Thank you again and I have learned this lesson: tone down my jokes a little.

In this day and age of political correctness there are at least three things we don't joke about or risk being screwed: sex, religion, politics.

You didn't say what kind of "list" you were joking about, but I'm guessing a sexual harassment or similar one since you were with a coworker.

Rumors are evil things; if your joke expands into a full-fledged rumor about you...you're screwed. You can deny until you're blue in the face; yet some will still believe the rumor. And if some of them have sanction authority over you (e.g., a boss or boss's boss), you're really screwed.

Best you can do is ride it out. Don't say a word about it to anyone for any reason. If you're lucky the joke will not turn into a rumor and you'll slide by. In which case, I trust you've learned your lesson...don't joke about sex, religion, or politics.

• D1 month agoReport

The only thing is. If the rumor is completely false and I’m not on a actual list, I can’t get in TOO much trouble right? If I can prove it?

It's called a "joke" and everyone seems to get that but you.

• D1 month agoReport

You’re exactly right. I need to learn that. 

• Robert

These are the things you spend your day worried about? Wow. What happens if there were to be an important issue in your life? First, what was the joke? The list? How is that the least bit controversial even in these really old PCBS times?

• D1 month agoReport

Yeah the list was the joke. I don’t know. Like my friend said, I didn’t go into anything vulgar or anything in detail and all. I got a problem where I worry about everything. I shouldn’t be though. 

• jimmy

You'll be fine, dumb joke but pretty vanilla and easily proved to be no more than a joke. Unless your boss is looking for a reason to fire you I wouldn't worry at all if I were you.

• God

I don't understand why the reference to a list is so perverted.  If you really think your boss was offended apologize to him/her in person.

How is this "list" significant?

• D1 month agoReport

It was implied, according to the coworker, it was the sex offender list. However he has made a lot of jokes about it and so has everyone else. Plus, I could always argue that. I never said what list

• hamel5

You may want to write a note to your boss -  something like,  "I said something dumb the other day , but to be clear - I'm not on any kind of list.  You can check, but it was just a bad joke. 

• D1 month agoReport

Really don’t think I wanna write anything. Don’t want anything in writing. However, I did speak to him privately. He did say “dude you’re fine he’s just f****** around.”. I’m just afraid cause idk. He’s kinda a DBag, and lies a lot. Idk.