Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Would heaven really be all that great?

Heaven is a place where there is only joy and no sorrow.

But woudnt being happy all time suck?

Happiness feels so good because there is sorrow in our lives.One can only value joy if they have felt sorrow.Thats why everyone should experience pain and sorrow in their life.Life being a mixture of joy and sorrow is what makes it so worthwhile and meaningful.

An eternity in heaven would be so meaningless and boring.

You make a good point. But we shall remember all our sorrows and cares. We will have a valid basis for comparison.

• If it's so boring for you to go to heaven, get ready to go to hell, out there you'll suffer and cry for the rest of eternity! Okay!

• Git

Good point you have there. 

But some would argue that on earth a person experiences sorrow so that he treasures everlasting happiness in heaven.

If heaven is truly such a good and perfect place to be, why did Satan, aka Lucifer, rebelled against god?

Some would argue it is Satan’s own pride and arrogance that leads to his fall from heaven. Pride and arrogance may be Satan’s fall but what about one-third of all the angels in heaven who had followed Satan in his rebellion? It would be inconceivable that every one of them were proud and arrogant too. 

But regardless of the reasons for the angels fall, heaven is not as perfect and happy place as it was made out to be.

• Liz

Christians look forward to the time when faithful humans will attain to perfect life on a paradise earth. (Luke 23:42, 43) Enlarging on that hope, Revelation 21:3, 4 says: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. . . . And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

Anyone who expects to have such a future has every reason to be happy, even if his present circumstances leave much to be desired. (James 1:12)

• k w

I doubt you'll choose to die, once you experience it.....it's spiritual, not flesh.....

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

• Sean

While I understand your perspective, you should do some more research on who God is and what heaven is. When I did these things, even as an atheist a long time ago, I found that what He declares is good. What He promises for the future is good. We may not understand it--being that we live in this fallen world--but He does. He is eternal.

It is our sinful nature that makes us discontent with God. It wants us to be separated from him. That is what makes us desire a mixture of anything else other than God. If that is gone, we can still have the perspective of what we've overcome, but yet enjoy the present. Afterall, the person who survives a near-death experience may revel in the fact he or she has overcome it, but they don't wish to return to it!

We are unclean. Only made clean by his grace. How can we perceive what is clean? Isn't our whole life filth stacked upon filth? It really boils down to the fact that you don't trust God or his words. If a stranger came up to me on the street and asked me to trust him--that he could hold my wallet for me--what would I require of that man for me to trust him? I would need to walk in his shoes. I would need to talk with him. When he says something I would need to see if he goes back on what he says and if his words are trustworthy. All these things we'd do with a stranger, and if God is a stranger to you, and you don't know him, then consider him in this light. Think of him as the man who has approached you with good news. How can you believe him? That is why Christians hold the bible so important. It is a manual to the character and actions of God all throughout our human history from beginning to declared end.

He says that being in eternity with him that you will have eternal joy; that there will be no tears anymore; that there will be all who come before him and see him, and each of those people from all the walks of life there are, will bow their knee to him, agreeing he is Lord. Those are some heavy claims, and you can measure his words to find him truthful, or you can not. Your choice matters though, and I hope you chose to seek him out with all your heart, strength and soul. I think that's fair.

P.S. You'll notice I am not telling you to join "X" church or to break down into a sobbing mess and confess your sins. While that would be great, I understand you are having a theological issue with God, and sometimes such instances need to be weighed out rather than being an emotional response to something. The fact is, God promises that if you seek him (not just look!), you will find him. Either he is going to fulfill his promises or he can't be real, but you can't sit there with eyes closed and say you sought him. He says he is judge, and he knows all things. That excuse may work for me and joe-schmo, but it won't for him.

Heaven means different things according to different religions.

Just do what God says and find out when you get there.

But please do not be in a hurry because you could miss out on the lessons that would grant you entrance to Heaven.

"only joy and no sorrow"?

Gen 6:6  And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. 

Well you'll love it here then

Heh heh