Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Should I pay for his ticket to an event?

I've never really been in a proper relationship but I've started seeing this guy and it got me thinking about how paying for certain things works. Say I was to have a university ball and wanted to invite him as my date, should I be the one to pay for that ticket (seeing as it's my university ball, and I want him to come)? I'm a very generous person and always pay for things for other people and i'm lucky to be in a position to do so, but I'm not really sure of the etiquette here because while I would have no problem paying £20 for a ticket, sometimes i've known certain events to be £60! This is definitely out of pocket for me seeing as i'm a student. I'd feel rude asking him to pay for something I want him to come to but I'd also feel so silly paying £120 for two tickets. So should I assume they'd pay for their own ticket, should I pay, or should I pay for half their ticket?

• Jerry

When a lady asks a gentleman to escort her to an event, the lady takes care of the fees involved. If a before- or after-the-event dinner is customary, like for a prom, it's OK the person taking care of the fees to issue an invitation that does not include the customary upscale meal, to explain "I wish I could take you to Big Bucks Bistro after, but I'm afraid I can only afford Sally's Sandwich Shop." This may or may not lead to the date offering to pay for dinner, either at Sally's or some other eatery. 

There's no polite way to ask someone "Would you be so kind as to accompany me to a social event -- and go dutch?" 

If you can't afford a pair of tickets, then you can't afford to ask someone to escort you to the ball. Sorry. 

• audrey

You invited him, so it's on you.

• Kaylee

There’s really no appropriate way to pay for things in relationships. Maybe he will offer to chip in but to be generous , you should definitely pay. It’s something he was invited to