Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can the police track down an prank call that was made using an burner phone app?

So my friend and I used an burner phone app that I installed on my iPhone and I swatted a place. We drove by the mcdonalds and saw fire trucks, police & deputies and ambulances swarming the police. This was my second time doing a prank like this. My friend dared me to do it so I did it using that app that he told me to download, he says its untraceable cause its made over wifi and the phone number is disposable. Can the police track us down if we used that app that gave us a fake phone number ?? Would they really track us down ??

There is  NO SUCH THING as a burner phone app. There ARE apps that claim to mask the source of the call. Most of them are not difficult to bypass with a subpoena to whoever wrote the app.

If you were dumb enough to use your own phone, your cell phone carrier has a record of all calls made on your phone.  It doesn't matter whether the call was made through a "burner app."

• Squid

Yes.  Spoofing the phone number is easy, but every call has a lot of data included that you don't see.  The police have access to this data.  It includes the serial number of your phone, the cell tower or wifi location, and lots of other things.  All this information is stored on the servers, so it doesn't matter if you delete your phone's history or destroy the sim card.

Not easily traced, but can be traced. For a false alarm where nothing else comes of it, the effort probably won't be made. If anyone is injured, more effort will be made. If anyone is killed, they won't stop until they find you.

Drivel.       .

Yes,and when they do. You are going to jail

• Jamey

The police can do anything they have special forensic software.

• Jack H

I hope they can, you're an idiot, the first responders may have been needed at a real event, you deserve to have a criminal record...