Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Say you had a lot time for the next 2 months: How long do you think it would take you to read 50 books?

It depends how much you mean by "a lot", how long (on average) the books were, and how much of the books' content you expect me to remember. If I had nothing else to do except eat, sleep and take care of personal hygiene, I could probably read a typical book in a day, so if I didn't take any days off, I'd be finished in 50 days.

• chorle

If you know which books you could look up the audio version and if you are a fast reader it would be less time than the audio versions. 

There are books that are very long and books that are very short. 

3-4 days per book so perhaps about 8-10 books.

The sort answer is that it would depend on the books.

It took me rather longer to read Les Miserables than it did to read Jonathan Livingston Seagull - but they each count as one book.

If you're asking, could I read fifty books in two months if I had no other calls on my time - then: easily.

I don't quite see how the 'two months' limit fits with the 'how long to read 50 books'. It would take me just as long to read the 50 books with, or without, the two month time span.

And of course a lot depends on what the books ARE. There are books that I could easily read two or three of in a day; there are others that could take me up to a week, depending. I've just finished reading "The Mirror and the Light", the last in Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall" trilogy, and it's taken me three weeks in small chunks every day - I was deliberately taking my time to enjoy and absorb her astonishingly brilliant writing - but in between I read half a dozen other shorter novels, mainly re-reads, and two quite complex books on modern history.

Some books can be swallowed whole in a matter of hours; others have to be slowly savoured.

I like the way you think but it makes little sense. It would for me to take say the first book I could finish in two days. It would take at an enjoyable pace 50 books six months at least. Action paced books are meant to be read fast but what some would call classics taking your time reading them you can absorb more effortlessly.

• Andrew

If for some reason I decided to set a goal for myself to read 50 books in 2 months, I'd read whenever I had time and pace myself accordingly. Without knowing which 50 books were on the list it would be impossible to say how long each might take. If I had "a lot of time", then I suppose reading one per day would be doable, and I'd still have some time left over in case I didn't manage to finish one per day. But I haven't set that goal for myself and I don't have the freedom to devote a solid 8 hours to reading per day, so all I can tell you if YOU want to accomplish that goal is to try your best to get through one per day and hope that you'll have enough time to get through all 50 in approximately 60 days. If you've got a few 1,000 page tomes in there it won't be easy. If your list consists mainly of books of average length between 100 and 300 pages, even a fairly slow reader could knock that out in 3 to 5 hours so 2 a day wouldn't be out of the question. 

I think I will be able to complete it in around 40 days or even less. Although I don't .do reading that much but I can easily read 2-3 books per day specially when there is so much free time