Remarriage advice?

When I married, my fiancé and I went off and were married privately. We wanted this for two reasons: 1. My family was embarrassing; 2. We knew my parents would be relieved at the no-fuss plans. No one in either family raised any objections, then or since.

I am a widow now and I hope to remarry soon. The embarrassing members of my family have passed away, and I would like to have a reception afterwards. I consider my late husband’s siblings and their kids to be among my dearest friends. Would it be tactless to have any sort of a wedding, or to invite them to it? Will it seem like a snub aimed at my first marriage?

• Trish

As long as you care about each other invite them.  I'm sure all of you wouldn't have it any other way once you discussed the options.

Plan the wedding that you and your new husband to be want to have - including who you want to share it with.

On your late husband's family - are they still family to you? If so, invite them. I imagine if you're still close they'll be aware you have a new partner. 

• Tj

Talk with your husbands family, let them know you are going to be remarried. Feel them out how they feel about it. Have a small wedding

I don't see why it would be considered 'snub.' Invite them - I think it would look worse if you didn't. Then they can decide if they'd like to attend, regardless if you have a reception or not. Best wishes to you.

This is really puzzling!  How could it be a snub aimed at your 1st marriage?  If his family members are among your "nearest and dearest", I'd think they'd be thrilled you found someone else and they'd love to come and celebrate with you.

The only possible awkwardness I can come up with is if it's been less than a year or whatever since your husband died, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

• Jerry

Is the idea to treat yourself to a wedding, to have the kind of ceremony + celebration major event you didn't have with your first marriage? Or is the idea to share your joy with people you care about?

If the latter, then that it might be awkward for your late husband's family. Wedding generally center on bride, groom, their families, and their families' social circles. Including the family of the bride's deceased former husband certainly creates a lot of potential for social floundering, clumsy gaffes, self-consciousness, and general feelings of ill-at-ease. 

Maybe it would be better to ask your late husband’s siblings and their kids to welcome your new husband to the friendship circle by attending a big very festive dinner party instead of including them in your wedding day plans? Or perhaps limit wedding invitations to 1 or 2 ex-in-laws with whom you're particularly close instead of including the whole clan?