Why does Big Y allow managers to yell at employees?

I worked at a Big Y years ago. It's a supermarket in CT and MA. I forgot to make shrimp cocktail one night. The next day my manager screamed horribly at me for it. I asked him to stop multiple times. I understood I forgot, but he wouldn't stop. It was awful. Then he tried to act like he was sad, but he would have stopped if that was true. 

The next shift I confronted him, and he tried to blow it off as if it wasn't a big deal. He kind of apologized, but wanted me to forget about it. He wouldn't acknowledge what he did was bad.Why would a company allow something like this? I know I forgot something, but he took it way too far. 

Perhaps corporate isn't aware that this person has too short a fuse to be in charge. But any time an underling "confronted" management yet still has a job there's clearly something strange going on (as in most cases this would result in a firing).

• Pat

How is "the company" supposed to know what everyone is doing every minute?

Did you report him to his boss?

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A UNION.

• When your boss is yelling at you, that's a prime opportunity to do one of the following:

1) Put your hand up and calmly, but firmly, tell them that you won't be yelled at or cussed at.  They can talk to you like a human being or not talk to you at all.

2) Hock a loogie right into their gaping maw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OckDy6rDrQ

Youtube thumbnail

You have to make them fix the problem

Yet you still have a job.  Some would say he didn't take it far enough.  Stop whining.