asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

would it annoy most people if one's neighbor across the street hired the same lawn care company to make their lawn look just like yours?

why this is? and is this why maybe most people have their own lawn service and is different than their neighbors? (I noticed in my neighborhood as well as other neighborhoods that each person has their own lawn service, and dont use their neighbors lawn service too and thought it interesting as to why)

I wouldn't care. One of our neighbors across the street does use the same lawn care company.

Around where I live, landscapers occasionally pass flyers from house to house. I imagine that's how most people choose someone. They like the specific services, or they like the prices, or they just happen to be looking for someone at the time they get the flyer.

I would probably refrain from bothering someone for an estimate while they were working. I might call them if I saw their number advertised on their vehicle, though.

As far as why call some unknown person ...why not? They're making it easy for us to call them, after all. Our landscaping is not complex, and we are not particular. If we were unhappy with someone, I guess we could always switch to someone else.

I never said they left flyers in the *mailbox*. They usually leave them on the doorknob with some sort of rubber band.

• Lv 6

why don't they go over and ask the guy cutting their next door neighbors lawn for an estimate?  why call a totally unknown company because they illegally stuck a flyer in their mailbox?

Lv 6, While it shouldn't, there are those persons who would see this as a justified reason to be angry with you. Often this may be a neighbor who is somewhat "known" for being hard to get along with, grouchy, etc. and not particularly "friendly", the cause for which likely to have nothing at all to do with you or other neighbors, but something more privately held which may have left them wary of befriending others.

While it might or might not work, in an attempt to extend the first 'laurel' of kindness / friendship and possibly assuage their unpleasant outward nature, before anything else I would first knock on their door, introduce myself, and compliment them on how nicely their lawn was kept, and (unless rather 'obvious' such as their knowing you lived directly across the street and couldn't have missed the large signage on the lawn company's vehicle) maybe ask if they did it themselves or hired someone, mentioning that you were in need of a trustworthy lawn service and would they mind giving you their contact information. This kind of 'first contact' can go miles towards tearing away some of the wall that they've built around themselves over time, and who knows, every once in a while this can be the start of a truly great neighbor relationship. If instead you get a frown and the door closed in your face, hey, you did try, and it's their loss. Maybe they'll think about it and slowly come around over time, maybe not; you've 'left the ball in their court'. But if you get them talking a little and they give you the name or number of the lawn service, then you'll have no concerns of having angered or unintentionally started a feud with the neighbor. P.S. Extra 'brownie points' can also be yours if a few weeks after you've hired the lawn service you can stop by at the neighbors with a home-made pie or cookies, e.g. some little 'offering' to go with a "I just wanted to say thanks for the referral and how pleased you are with the new lawn service". Yes, this whole 'scenario' is a little 'contrived', but if it's not being done ingenuously, you've nothing to feel dishonest about, and may find that you've helped to restore someone's faith in humanity. Best wishes- David   

When many people on one street use the same lawn company it makes it much easier for the company to take care of the area.  It means they will be more reliable as missing one would mean missing many jobs.  Its a good thing as long as they do a good job and the whole neighborhood looks good.

I don't think it should bother anyone but one thing that might bother if someone else have the same exact garden structure.

"to make their lawn look just like yours"   Lawn is lawn.  Is there some kind of super special lawn?

"would it annoy most people if one's neighbor across the street hired the same lawn care company"    No.

If you live in a place with that many lawn companies and that many people who are too lazy to mow their own lawn, I can only surmise it's a pretty backwards place.  Probably full of republicans who want to get rid of illegals except when it comes to lawn mowing.