How much can we expect to pay for one acre of grazing/pasture/arable land on the outskirts of manchester/sheffield?

My friend and I have decided to come together for a project that would restore an acre of farmland into a natural forest/food forest, we've both just left education and see this as a great way to create something special for ourselves and our future.

An acre of forest costs around 10k per acre and after speaking with google you can buy an acre of grazing land for around 6k-10k, however we both have very different estimations of what our starting fees will cost.

My friend he thinks we are looking at over 10-15k once we have sorted solicitor fees an all things alike. I'm a bit more optimistic I think we approach the land owner directly or find an auction perhaps and we could pay considerably less for the land bringing us down closer to that 6K region.

I figure the guide price per acre is for people buying land in larger quantity's and of course the grade of the land is dependant on weather its arable or pasture.

Id love to hear about anyone else who's purchased a small holding of land, or a land owner themselves, but all inputs are greatly appreciated :)

• Tavy

Have you any idea just how small an acre is? My garden in Cornwall was just under an acre. No way can you plant a forest, half a dozen trees is about all it will take and you will be collecting your pension by the time they grow tall enough to harbour wildlife. 

An acre is just big enough for a pony paddock. Food ? what are you going to plant for food, yet again it has to grow. Have you looked at the price of trees and plants?

Nice idea but wildly inpractable.

Contact a Commercial Estate Agent in your area and come down to earth.

UK

One acre of land is not enough to realize your project. Most auctions are for the entire acreage and that is what you need (five at least if not ten or more). Finding some one willing to break out one acre will be difficult, but a larger size might be able to be done.

You might contact Sheffield Land Trust or the Sheffield and Rotherham  Wild Life Trust. Either one might have a segment you can adopt.

http://www.sheffieldland.org/Conservation%20Proces...

https://www.wildsheffield.com/wildlife/wildlife-co...

I am a land owner.  

I have no clue what you are trying to do.

You want to take an acre of agricultural land and turn it into forest?  Why?  

And unless someone has already subdivided their property, they can't just sell you an acre.   And why would anyone want to sell you an acre of their agricultural land anyways?

You sound like the blind leading the blind.

You know there's property tax, right?

No one here can tell you how much to pay for an acre of land in your location.  You'll have to do your own research.