How much extra “km” you can drive before changing engine oil?

Hello. I use Toyota engine oil 20w-50 valid for 5000 km. How many km can i do extra before i start damaging the pistons?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

As long as there IS oil circulating in the engine, the pistons are in no risk of being damaged. 20w50 is pretty heavy for a Toyota engine. If you need 20w50, perhaps you're covering up some already present damage that is not going to HEAL by itself. What Toyota do you have, by the way. None of the cars require 20w50 oil.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

HOW you drive is an important factor.

I have never heard of a vehicle requiring number that high. If you use the wrong weight oil, you may have already started damaging the engine.

• 2 months ago

A lot depends on the quality of the oil itself.  If it’s not full synthetic motor oil I wouldn’t push it past 10,000 Km.  But what Toyota call for 20w-50?  I have two toToyotas and one uses 0w-20 and the other uses 5w-30.  You run oil to viscous and you will ruin that engine regardless of how fresh the oil is.

• 2 months ago

I haven't seen any Toyota motors requiring 20w-50w oil. Most newer motors take 0w-20w 04 5w-20w.

You had better check your motors oil viscosity requirements. Is it listed on the oil fill cap?

Make sure you check the oil level on the dipstick every 1000km and top it up.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • fuzzy
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Very early Toyotas used 30-40 weight SE oil (Like most engines that era.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I would say the damage would start soon, but it would be to the cylinder walls and rings.  You won't really do much damage to the pistons until a rod bearing goes out.  They you will be able to see the damaged pistons.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A brand new account Alex?

• Bill
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

about another 50,000klm and then you damage bearings rather than pistons . Any where around the 7,000 klm mark is the max range for engine oil change

• ...Show all comments
    • Bill
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

well in your world , you will need a new engine at the 120,000klm mark. The oil is not the only thing in oil so it needs regular replacing to replace all of the used up additives
      Because of the consumable additives, there is not an oil on earth that lasts 24,000miles and is still effective

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Year make and model.  You might be using the wrong oil.  Check the owner's manual.  Stick to the recommended oil change interval in the owner's manual as much as possible.  You can go earlier but try not going over.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You really should look at your owner's manual, and follow what the manufacturer recommends.

My car has German Engineering, and is good for 10,000 miles between oil changes. (16,000 km.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.