Asbestos in joint compound?
I'm going to preface this by saying I'm clueless about this topic so forgive me if my terminology or phrasing is off. We bought a new house last year. It was built in 1968. Our previous house was built in 1954. When we bought each house we had an inspection and the inspectors mentioned the probability of asbestos in things like old basement tiles and duct insulation. They never mentioned drywall or joint compound.
Last fall we started planning a basement reno so I had someone come to test the ceiling tiles. He recommended also testing the drywall--the joint compound came back as containing <2% chrysotile asbestos. We didn't test anywhere on the main floor but he said it's likely the same everywhere. He also said that plaster textured walls (which we had in our old house) almost always contain asbestos.
Here's my question: we lived in our old house for 8 years. We didn't do any renovating, but we drilled holes for hanging things and that sort of thing. And in our new house we've done the same, including cutting a chunk of drywall out for access to a leaking pipe. We have two small children. How worried do I need to be about day to day life with asbestos in all the walls? Are we already doomed?
- boy boyLv 74 months ago
im a builder in uk ..50 years ago the asbestos content was very much higher than today ..especially in commercial buildings and pipe lagging ..people talk about asbestos garages ..no such thing ! it was fibrous cement ..with less than 5% asbestos ..then it was not the really dangerous type ...no asbestos in drywall or jointing compound ....only if you create dust ..sanding and drilling might it remotely be a hazard ..more chance of being eaten by a polar bear in palm springs
- Aussie DevilLv 64 months ago
Asbestos was never used in dry walls or dry wall compound .
- STEVEN FLv 74 months ago
NO, joint compound NEVER contained asbestos.
Even if you have asbestos, it is 100% safe unless inhaled in DUST form.
You tested the wallboard, NOT the joint compound.
The concentration you state would be immaterial even if you intentionally inhaled it.
- Spock (rhp)Lv 74 months ago
a few small holes and spots won't matter. not enough exposure to be concerned about.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Diane ALv 74 months ago
Doomed not at all. You have to breathe high concentration asbestos almost for years, and it needs to be aerosolized. Less than 2% that you drilled a picture hole doesn’t aerosolized much of anything.