Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Could I get out of a speeding ticket using this method?

Have you ever been to a doctors office or hospital and noticed the name tags that doctors, nurses and technicians wear on their shirt?

They're just pieces of laminated card stock showing their picture, name, title and facility name.

I could print something like that up on my home computer, laminate it at any office supply store, and it would look official. Now that I've reached an age where I'm old enough to have gone through med school, residency and become a full fledged doctor, I could make myself out to be an in demand specialist.

Say that I keep several of these in my glove compartment, one for each hospital in my area. If I get pulled over, I pull out the one for the closest hospital, flash it to the cop and say:

"Officer, I was speeding because I need to get to the ER and perform emergency surgery pronto!"

The officer will know I COULD be lying, but I could also be telling the truth. If I'm for real, I don't think the cop wants to deal with the fallout of delaying me to the extent the patient dies, even if it's to verify my story.

Time is a factor in medical emergencies. 5 minutes to verify my story is just as deadly as 5 minutes to write me a ticket.

Your body doesn't care what the cause of the delay was. Your body just knows that help arrived too late.

If the cop has his priorities in order, he won't risk all that.

Would he likely say:

"Well by all means doctor, be on your way?"

He'd follow you and if you didn't go to the hospital, he'd arrest you for the ticket and for interfering with a police officer (LYING). If you do go to the hospital, you can bet he'll check on you there. When he finds out you're a LIAR, read above.

You wouldn't get a speeding ticket because driving at 13 is a more serious offense.

Note: If it is that much of an emergency, and you were not ALREADY in the hospital, you are too late.

No, you can't.

First, if you say "I need to get to the ER and perform emergency surgery", he won't know that you "COULD" be lying; he will know that you are definitely lying and you could not be telling the truth, because surgery is done in the OR, not the ER. Any real doctor would know that, so he knows you're a fake, and he doesn't want to deal with the fallout of YOU performing the surgery, which would be that the patient dies. There's no risk in delaying you, because he knows you can't save the patient anyway.

Second, in some states, doctors have special license plates so he knows even before you pull over that you're not a doctor.

Third, even if you do manage to use the right terminology so that there is a possibility that you might be a doctor, he'll take the five minutes to verify it after you leave, and then arrest you later for lying to him. (Even if you've already left, he will have your license plate number and the make and model of your car and can look up your address to find you.)

i wouldnt do that, you might get into even more trouble for pretending

• keerok

First, doctors do not overspeed. They are responsible people who protect themselves first so that they may be able to continue serving others. Policemen know that.

Second, all it takes is a phone call to verify your identity. Policemen are in constant contact with medical facilities in and around their area. They can get results fast and yes, they will do their duty first, flag you to stop and take the time to check you out because it is their job.

Third, what will you do if you introduce yourself as a doctor and actually get called to an emergency? Faking it is a criminal offense.

That's a lot of things you need to do just to get out of a speeding ticket.  Don't speed.  Problem solved.

More likely he would say,

"Well by all means Doctor, follow me, I'll give you an escort and get you there in half a jiffy."

Then the officer lets you go straight into the hospital to do your thing with no detours whatsoever, while he goes to the front desk to have a word with them.

THAT is how he verifies your story, and then you're in a heck of a lot more trouble than a routine speeding ticket.

• STEVEN F

NO. it would take about 1 minute to confirm the TROLL isn't a doctor. That assumes the troll actually looks old enough to be Doogie Howser.