Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Can a realtor place an offer without your consent?

My realtor decided to go ahead and place an offer down on a property that I told her I was interested in. She offered the full asking price and I never gave her any authorization to do so. Now I'm being pursued day and night by the seller who is demanding I move forward with the sale.

She signed my name on the form without consulting me.  

Even if you make an offer you are not obligated to buy. You can back out of the deal. What the realtor did was illegal. YOU contact the seller and let them know you did NOT make the offer, the realtor did. Then call the police and charge her with forgery and fraud. 

• Eva

A purchase offer has to be in writing. Explain to the seller that you did not make an offer and ask to see the paperwork. If your realtor forged your signature, go to their boss and file a formal complaint with the state.

• Judy

not if you didn't sign it

• R P

Yes she can in Trollville. Be prepared for the impending lawsuit against you to force the sale.

Time to report the realtor to the State realtor board of complaints, and then find another realtor.

Take it up with your realtor, not the seller.  As far as the seller knows, you made an offer and the seller is holding you to it.  And she has that right.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Real Estate law experience.

i wouldnt think so, maybe you should talk to a lawyer about it

Troll...................................

Your realtor would need written authorisation to make binding submissions on your behalf.

This circumstance makes me wonder if the realtor had a preexisting deal with the seller. They both gain from this transaction and the only loser is you.

I'd report the realtor to the real estate board and threaten both with police charges of fraud. The charges won't stick of course, but it doesn't hurt to make people think twice before embarking on such a scam.

You can certainly trash the realtor in social media. Be sure to only state what you can prove happened though. Don't be tempted to spice it up or you could be sued for slander.

Also, contact the realtor's boss or franchise head office. I can't imagine they'll be happy with their representative acting in such a fashion.

• JetDoc

If you want legal advice, go talk to a lawyer.