Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 2 months ago

Is it at all possible for me to become a meteorologist?

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Meteorology and a Master's Degree in Mathematics. I am looking to find a job. Usually, you need a Master's in Meteorology to find a job in the field. However, this was not always the case and I know a older forecaster (at NOAA) with only a Bachelor's degree. It is my passion, yet I do not want to attend school again. Therefore, if it is not possible I will just keep it a hobby and find a business job.

It is absolutely possible, and you don't necessarily need a Master's in Meteorology to find a job in that field-- that largely just depends on where in the field you want to work.

I know quite a few people who work for the NWS, news stations, and private companies with a Bachelor's in Meteorology. I think that you would be fine applying with your Bachelor's, and the Master's in Mathematics would really make you stand out. Just keep in mind that it might be hard to find a position in the NWS or news stations, as openings might not come around very often, even if you are well-qualified. Don't give up, though! 

Best of luck to you!

Source(s): I'm in my last year of my undergraduate for atmospheric science and I know several people working in the field.

you might be too old at this point.