Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Help on how to rent a house/apartment?

Long story short I’ve been living with family for a while to cut costs. However I’ve been blessed with an unexpected pregnancy and need to get my own place quickly. I’ve been looking around but the problem I keep running into is rejection due to my credit score. I make enough to qualify everywhere I’ve been looking but they see my score and immediately nope out. My score is 499 (terrible I know) and I’m less than $2k in debt. I should have all of it paid off by the middle of June but I know it will still take a few months or so to reflect on my score. So my question is: what can I do to get places to overlook my score or would I have more luck renting from an owner than an agency? Also are there certain types of properties that don’t run credit checks? I’m in Houston TX if that helps. Thanks in advance! 

Edit for the rude people:

1. I do consider this child a blessing. I lost my boyfriend before I found out I was pregnant so excuse me for being happy that part of him can live on

2. I CAN afford the child I never said I was broke. I even said I make enough to qualify which means at least 3x rent

3. Most of the debt is NOT my fault beside a few med bills. My sister screwed me by putting bills in my name w/o permission which is WHY I’m trying to leave. Credit score doesn’t always=income

Thanks. 

Let's address the credit score problem first. If the debt is not your debt--meaning you weren't responsible for it--you can append a statement to your credit report explaining that. When someone has used your credit for their own, that's identity theft--and although you probably aren't going to try to prosecute your sister for this, you do need to address it with the creditors and the report. Look on the credit bureaus' websites for more information. Or talk to someone at Consumer Credit Counseling Services for additional help. One caution:  DO NOT pay for this help. CCCS does not charge people for helping repair credit histories, and they won't scam you. Agencies that do charge are more than likely scammers. Be careful about that. 

Second, you might want to look into low-income housing. The application process is not usually so dependent on past credit. The problem with this is that waiting lists are usually long and in some areas, there is just not enough housing to go around. But you definitely should be checking into it. Your local state welfare department may be able to help you find it, or find places where you might be able to rent without so much credit hassle. I would urge you to call them. 

Third--are you getting any help from Social Security for your child from the death of his father? (I am assuming you meant that by "lost").  You should be checking with them as well--as a survivor of a deceased parent, your child may be eligible for benefits. Their website can help you figure out if your baby will qualify. You won't, because you weren't a spouse, but your child may. 

Fourth--yes, you would have a much better chance of renting from an individual. You can talk to them, the bureaucracy of an agency is not always sympathetic, but a person might be. So again, I urge you to try that. 

I hope you're getting some help from somewhere. Being a single parent isn't easy, and you'll need it--and I wish you good luck. 

• R P

Look on craigslist for "no credit check" apartment complexes. Just don't expect them to be in the nicest or safest of areas.

I think you're a fantasy land troll. Even if not, you're away with the fairies.

"Unexpected pregnancy", my ****.Well if you didn't know that sex can result in pregnancy,  then you shouldn't be having kids, regardless of whether you "lost" the father. And a credit score didn't tank overnight, you've patently not got a financial reserve , so there no way you should be reproducing.  You have no reliable family support, if they are the ones allegedly screwing you over 

Renting somewhere to live is your responsibility, so you have to find your own home. Maybe you think someone is going to do your research, for you well I think you would mistaken.

Currently I am renting a basement that's in a house. I already did my research regarding where I will be moving to, and I did my research ALONE, and this is something that you are going to have to do.

the child might get a social security dependent benefit...does the baby daddy have family that can help you out?

you aren't blessed to be prego with a kid as a single parent and no family support.  a responsible person would have gotten their finances in order before risking getting prego.

adoptive parents can cosign a lease for you.

• Scott

Just one bad choice after another. I wish you well!

• n2mama

It’s great that you will be able to get your debt paid off in another month, but it will take a lot longer than a few months to get your score up to a respectable level. It will take years of responsible payment history to get that score up. Now, you may be able to find an individual landlord who won’t do a credit check. Pretty much every larger complex will. With an individual landlord you also may be able to offer to pay a larger security deposit (think 2-3 months instead of the standard one month) to help provide a level of comfort to the landlord. After all, the way you trashed your credit was by not paying your bills, so letting the landlord hold more provides more reassurance.

All that said, what are you planning to do when the baby comes? You will need to take at least a little time off work when the baby is born, and that’s if everything goes well. If you have complications or a c-section you will needs weeks for recovery. And there are the expenses of actually having the baby. Financially, are you really prepared for all of this? If not, moving out right now may not make the best sense. Housing costs are the biggest bills most people pay, and if you have struggled with financial responsibility while living with others, taking on the full expenses might not turn out well.

I agree that score isn't going to clear up as quickly as you hope.

In our daughter's experience, individual landlords renting houses were far less likely to check credit scores. Some appeared to make snap judgment based on how she presented herself when she was looking at a place.

Apartments always checked her credit. Every single one.

You'll want to have paycheck stubs showing you can afford it, because even a landlord who doesn't check credit may want some evidence he'll get his money every month.

I'm a little concerned with bad credit and an unplanned pregnancy coinciding. You're going to have a kid and you need to start being a responsible adult all the time. Today's a real good day to start.

• A

have a score of 499 isn't just from a 2k Debt, it is from either paying late all the time or defaulting on debts. you need to clean up all the old debt in addition to the new 2k debt to get your score up to an acceptable level

There are no sane landlords who will rent to you.

It's going to take literally YEARS to significantly improve your credit score if the 2k debt you're referring to is in default.

"I’ve been blessed with an unexpected pregnancy"     If the child cannot live where you live now and you cannot find alternate housing, then perhaps the court should award custody to the baby's other parent.   You can stay where you are and pay child support.