If a child is 75% Caucasion 25% Hispanic what do you claim on the questions that ask if they are Hispanic?

If a child is 75% Caucasion 25% Hispanic what do you claim on the questions that ask if they are Hispanic?  I see the hispanic question on many school registration forms

• Rick

I'd say they're not Hispanic because the percentage is too low.  But if you want the best answer, you need to ask the people who sent you the school registration forms.

There should be another item entitled  "multi ethnic". The question is there because the U. S. Dept of Education wants to track ethnic background to prevent racial discrimination. 

It's usually worded "White-Non Hispanic" as Spanish people are actually White. Someone who is 25% Hispanic is not "White-Non Hispanic". There's also a box for "Other" if you don't feel like sorting it out.

In the US we have a law that nobody is allowed to ask what race you are in employment applications, rental agreements, school enrollment, etc.  We allow that question ONLY to be asked for purposes of determining racial balance. For statistics, not for anything having to do with the individual employee or renter or student or loan applicant.

Consequently, (1) you can't be required to answer the question if you don't want to, and (2) there is no wrong answer!  You may answer the question however you like!

If you are 10% Hispanic but you'd rather identify as Hispanic, you can answer that you are Hispanic.  In fact, you can be ZERO percent Hispanic and answer that you are Hispanic.

The great majority of us in the US are not 100% one thing.  I, for example, was born in the US but my grandparents came from Ukraine and Hungary.  So I could consider myself American, Ukrainian-American, Hungarian-American, or I could decide, just for fun, that I'm Polynesian or East-African.

Whatever you want. Whatever you think best suits you. We live in world where a person can decide they are not their biological sex and no one can argue it. You claim whatever the heck you want to claim. The Big Eye In The Sky will sort it out as they see fit.

• A X

Schools and other places ask for political/financial reasons. In many places there are special programs/funds aimed at Hispanic, Black (etc) people. Identifying people in this manner for these reasons perpetuates problems.

• Jerome

More evidence the race questions on govt forms are outdated.

Just like the color "coded" thinking, I mean the race based policies of outdated politicians......👌