Christy asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Dog learned to climb 6 foot wooden fence. WHAT DO I DO?

My neighbor just brought our dog back from almost getting hit by a car. I scoped the yard. No holes, no higher platforms to jump onto. Just our 6 foot wooden fence. I’m convinced he’s learned to hope the fence and I have no idea what to do. HELP ME!

• Anna

Don't leave your dog outside. Only let him out to do his business and then bring him inside. Can't scale the fence and get out if he's inside the house.

• "Dog learned to climb 6 foot wooden fence. WHAT DO I DO?"

"DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!"

([Jojo] will know the tv series THAT came from, and who raced around like a headless chook while saying it.But [Jojo] is a NAUGHTY girl - she "stole" one of the pics I use in this situation.)

The 6 foot fence simply needs a "topping" or platform sticking out wide enough so that when the dog has its forelegs gripping the outside of the "topping" or platform, the hind legs can NOT reach the horizontal rails.

┌─🐕

(Okay - emojis do NOT rotate - so I did the best I could.)

It is the WIDTH of the projection that counts - not whether it is horizontal or slopes up or slopes down.

But the projection MUST be so well-supported/mounted that the dog's weight cannot gradually loosen the bolts/nails/screws.

You neglected to tell us what AGE and BREED or breed-mix your dog is, but I am sure that a 30cm/12" projection will prevent most pooches' hind toes from doing anything more than push the dog back AWAY from the platform - the harder it tries, the sooner it loses its grip on the top of the platform so drops to the ground on YOUR side of the 6 foot wall.

I'd prefer the overhang/platform to be of planking rather than wire-netting. I'd hate to think of a dog getting its fore-leg caught in the wire and being left hanging from that leg until you arrive home.

While you wait for someone to securely build such a platform aka overhang, your dog must be inside with you, or on a leash you are holding, or outside on a chain long enough to let him move around but too short to let him try to scale the wall,or in a locked shed.

I DETEST "invisible fences" for a variety of reasons, including that ❌they give NO mental security to scared-of-dogs people who must walk past them, ❌they do NOT protect your dog from aggressive stray dogs or brats, ❌they don't work if the electricity goes off or the battery in the dog's shock collar is flat.

WORSE: Even when everything is working perfectly, ❌a strong-minded dog seeing an enemy, or scenting a bìtch on-heat, can RACE at it so fast that it skid-rolls through-&-out-of the shock zone so picks itself up and continues with its evil plan. BUT... When the pooch tries to return home it is WALKING, and so the shock-barrier prevents it from re-entering its own property❌❌ - it is stuck out on the road with all that traffic❗️❗️❗️❗️❗

So please ignore people who made that thoughtless suggestion.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• Jojo

Many dogs learn how to scale a 6ft solid fence. One solution is to put an inward overhang on top of the fence.

Like in the photo below.

It only needs to be a about 14-16" deep, maybe a bit less.

Stop leaving the dog out there unsupervised. Problem solved.

Don't leave the dog outside unattended?

Invisible fence?

Kennel with top?

Make sure the dog gets adequate exercise so he's less bored/antsy?   (Being in a fenced yard is NOT exercise.   I mean take him on a five mile run twice a day if he needs it). 

I ended up putting a chicken wire barrier inside a one acre back yard, on my side of the wooden privacy fence, because my dog was able to climb the fence.  The "bad" side (i.e., the wooden cross supports) were, by law, facing me, and he just climbed and climbed and THEN FELL OVER FROM THE TOP.

When he got older he lost interest in climbing, but it was a problem.

I don't believe in shocking the dog to get it to behave.

Either run an electric fence wire on it or install coyote rollers

You may have to get yourself a wireless fence and bury it at the borderline of the wooden fence that goes around your property and put one of those collars on your dog that administers an electric shock when it comes near the fence. if your dog has learned how to hop the fence or to get under it you need to get yourself a wireless fence with a shock collar because sooner or later your dog is going to get out and get killed. it's better that your dog is afraid to go near the fence then for it to get out and get killed