Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

Why do orthopedic surgeons operate on broke bones that are unnecessary?

I feel some of these surgery's would be avoided if they'd just move the bones by hand on an TV x-ray screen. I understand you can have bad breaks and crushed bones etc but I honestly think surgery is an extreme measure to fix them with metal plates etc. I recently had elbow surgery and looking at the break, it could've been easily moved down and held in place by a plaster cast. Instead I had to get surgery on the dam thing with inability to move it fully and a 5inch scar. 

what you think and what an orthopedist with years of experience knows are two different things.  Some breaks are just unstable even with casting; some dont heal well with casting, and some may take way to long to heal with out intervention. Bones that are angulated or very displaced are often unstable but a simple fracture isnt. Its all about getting the best outcome in the shortest amount of time. Elbow fractures are notorious for not so great outcomes, in any case

Most surgeons are in the business to do surgery. An old saying is: "A chance to cut is a chance to cure"

Many (most) patients want instant gratification, often opting for surgical stabilization of the bones, in the proper position, as they heal. Once the bone heals, the hardware is not needed and can be removed. This is another operation, with another surgical charge.

It is a bit self serving, but explains why many Orthopedic Surgeons make $300,000 to $500,000/year.

Because then they would not get paid much if they didn't lol. Emergency patients would not be enough to for them probably. I do see what you mean. My ex girlfriend who broken her left leg years ago. It could've been physically moved by hand to heal in a cast. Though surgeons think different. Why are you against metal fixation surgery? It provides higher chances of Optimal healing on the broken bones more than plaster cast. Plus you get to excerise it more easy with these metal plates and screw's holding everything in place.

What are your credentials? Your opinion is not worth much without them.