Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Does this make me a bad son?

I don't like how my parents are work-a-holics 

Granted, I should complete my chores 

to the best of my ability. It's really hard for me 

to balance school and home-life since I 

have two disabilities: sleep-apnea and 

stage 2 liver-failure. I'm not severely disabled, 

but it's just enough to make it hard for me 

to handle hard-work like everyone else. I 

need 14 hours/sleep plus, or I can't think straight. 

My parents are not bad people. I just

think they expect too much sometimes.

Your thoughts?  

Have you actually been diagnosed with sleep apnea? If so, then the doctor who diagnosed you should have prescribed a CPAP machine to help you breathe at night. Teens need more sleep than adults, but 14 hours is excessive. Get the CPAP machine and use it; you'll feel better once you are getting decent sleep. And, yes, you should complete your chores. Everyone in a household should pitch in to get the necessary chores done, including you. If you can find time to play video games, watch TV and spend time online, you can get your chores and homework done.

• Judith

I don't consider sleep apnea to be a disability because it is easily treated with CPAP. \

My thoughts?  This is the 2nd time you've asked this question.  Enough already.  As for your parents.  Sorry about them.  Nothing you can do about it.  Live your own life instead of whining about it.  I see no reason why you can't lead a full and productive life IF YOU WANT TO.

Seek treatment for your sleep apnea and ease up on judging others the same way you wish they would ease up judging you.

Have you had a heart to heart about this with your parents?

• martin

Any parent with a child that disabled should have sympathy and compassion for that child.

You probably haven't been to school for the last two months or so balancing school and home life should be much easier lately.  Perhaps your parents are work-a-holics because you apparently "need" to sleep for the majority of your time, and don't seem to be very productive.