How do i join a new desktop PC to work network. ?

Hi everyone, i have a new desktop PC that i need to join to a work network via ethernet cable. I connected the network cable to PC (other end of cable connected to network port), but the PC is not discovering any network during and after win 10 OODE set up. Am i doing it wrong or i need to change domain name?

Apogies if i sound dumb, but i am not too savvy with this. I need internet acces to install a software and to check windows update on the PC. 

Thank you in advance fpr any help. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

A couple of questions: Is the network in house? OR are you trying to connect to a work network that is housed in another building?  I mean, are you home and trying to connect to work?  

If you and the network are in the same location, then you may need to contact your IT dept to get the correct settings to connect.  It may be as simple as connecting via the workgroup and IP settings. 

If you are trying to connect to a work network while You are home and the network is in another building, you may need a VPN setup to access it.  Again, contact the work IT Dept and ask them for the setup, which vpn they recommend etc.  

• ...Show all comments
    • Marvinator
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Contact your IT Dept. They may have things which need to be installed.  I worked IT for many years, we used a networking software called Novel.  They will help you get your computer set up properly. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

its not that hard go to control panel and navigate over to (Network and sharing center) 

• 2 months ago

If Network port is dead,your PC will discover nothing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Depending on how your network was set up, you may need the PC joined to the domain before Group Policies can be applied to set up things like mapped drives, printers and Internet proxies. Only a Domain Administrator can do this or someone with delegated permissions. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

1Click the Start icon (or press the Start button on the keyboard), and then tap or click Settings. ...

2Click Network & Internet. ...

3Click Ethernet. ...

4Click Change Adapter Options. ...

5Right-click the connection that you want to configure and then choose Properties from the contextual menu that appears.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.