A screwdriver bit fell inside the 1st cylinder of my car and can’t find it. ?

Well it looks like I’m out of a car. So my cylinder was open when unscrewing something a just my luck it fell out the screwdriver and into the cylinder. I bought every magnet possible and can’t find it. What should I do from here. It’s a 2011 Infiniti g25. All answers appreciated

To be clear the 1st cylinder spark plug hole!

turn engine over buy hand slowly with a breaker bar there is close tolerance in there and when piston hits top dead center the driver head will stop u from turning it any further back it up about 1 inch put magnet in side fish it out if driver head is also magnetic u will need magnet stronger  than the screwdriver head stuck inside, or buy a small camera u can slid into sparkplug hole to look around they work with a smart phone get on amazon. good luck

Turn the car upside down then shake it.

• Larry

You should be able to get it out by adapting some clear vinyl tubing to a vacuum cleaner.  You need tubing about half of the diameter of the spark plug hole and the appropriate size barb. You then adapt the bard to your vacuum cleaner with one or more of various brass and PVC fittings.

You can find everything you need in the plumbing section of a Lowe's or Home Depot.

Once you have made your apparatus, probe around the cylinder; you will find it.  Even if the bit is too large to be completely sucked up, it will still attach to the end of the tubing.  A 45 degree angle cut to the end of the tubing, may be helpful.

In the event you are using a household vacuum cleaner, rather than a shop vacuum, be aware, you could damage the vacuum cleaner.

I once was cleaning sawdust from my carpenter's tool box,  with a household vacuum cleaner. A counter sink was sucked up, destroying the vacuum cleaner.

don't start the car until you get it out.

you can probably turn the motor over by hand to get the cylinder within a couple of inches from the top and get something small like a pipe cleaner or a wire and try pushing around the edges so you push the thing to the back middle of the cylinder.

Maybe you dropped a screwdriver bit.

Then you take one of those things, I can't remember the name but it's like a 3 foot long snake, not the magnet kind but the ones that have a claw on it and you squeeze it to put out the claw part.  stick that in the hole when you think it's in the back middle and try to grab it on the end so you can pull it out the hole.

That thing should fit into the spark plug hole with no problem.  The auto store should have it or maybe harbor freight if you have one of them in your area, or order it if you have to.

• Snezzy

Bubble gum. Bubble gum. Read my answer about bubble gum. Put some on the pipe cleaner.

You need to get a boredcope . This way you can look into the cylinder and actually get the position of the bit and then you get that telescoping magnet wrap electrical tape around it on the sides only a couple wraps . That will help it from clinging to the iron wall of the cylinder then go fishing . The problem is the size of the SP HOLE you need to either make something think enough to go in that SP HOLE but you have to get it out too if you have a shop vac I've used that and vac tubing to extract a small nut in my motorcycle that somehow found its way in there That's why you LEAVE THE PLUG IN THE HOLE EVEN IF JUST LOOSE but to use a shop vac I used some vac line and duct tape . It did it surprisingly May help you out too (r the magnet Do not turn it over even by hand Just let it be until it's out 

Turn the motor over slowly using a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt to see if the motor locks up when that piston comes up. You may have dropped the bit and it didn't go down the spark plug hole. Saying your "cylinder was open" makes me wonder why you're trying to play mechanic.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • W

A magnet won't work (as you have found) since there is too much ferrous metal down there. Get a bore scope (used for rifle barrels) and one of those grabbers that has claws that splay out when you push the plunger. Once you have grabbed the tool and gotten it away from the cylinder wall, you can remove the bore scope and feed the magnet down to the tool and tease it out, or if you managed to grab it at the end, draw it out without the magnet. Patience. 

For the sake of the question, I will take your word something fell into the cylinder.

If you can't get it with a magnet, the ONLY other option is to pull the cylinder head.

I would have to have the car towed to a shop for that.

There are not too many ways that can happen. If a spark plug was out you could drop something down that hole. If you had the intake manifold off, you could drop something in the intake port, but unless the valve was open the bit wouldn't fall in the cylinder. The way you told the story, it doesn't sound like any of that happened. Pull the cylinder head off and prove it to us.

• Assahola

How is the spark plugs hole have to do with the valves Sine the plug is exposed to. The CC WHEN THE SP IS OUT it opens up the entire cylinder . How can it stuck in the valves 

A shop can slip a camera into the spark plug hole and look for it. Then you can see where to send the magnet.  Who knows, it might not have actually fallen in. (maybe)

I expect you have deliberately stopped it at TDC  which does not give the magnet much maneuvering room.  If you turn the engine by hand enough to lower the piston, it might help.

If all else fails, you would have to remove the head to get it out.  Not easy of cheap, but preferable to dumping the whole car.

• John2 months agoReport

First and, only real answer. It will still be a pain in the *** but, Just may work.