Can my mom kick me out?

I’m 21 and pay almost half of the mortgage payment ($1000 a month) 

Every time my mom and I get into a fight she threatens to “not let me come home” 

I want to know what my rights are, and if she actually does lock me out of the house, should I call the police? Also, if she wanted to go about it the “right” way and evict me, would there be a hold on that process due to the covid pandemic? 

If you can cook, clean, and mow the yard, you can stay at my place until something better comes along. xD

I would think that if you’re paying $1000 a month you would have what’s known as tenants rights. And that she could not just kick you out without going through a whole legal evection process which you would have a say in. And if she didn’t have a good reason to kick you out she wouldn’t be able to. If you weren’t paying the thousand dollars every month that might be different. I’m not an attorney but I think this is how it works. You could try contacting tenants rights organizations in your area which might be able to help you with advice or if she tried to lock you out etc , Some of them help for free.Or Legal aid society and so forth.

AT 21 I would have kicked you out long ago if you are not still inschool getting a education which leads to a real job and carreer.

If you pay about $500 a month on the mortgage you have rights.. But since there is no lease she could give you a 30 day notice then get an eviction

I think if you don't have a college, or university education, and enough income to survive on your own then you will be screwed if your mom kicks you out.

I will make a small list, for you below.

1. college, or university education

2. source of income

3. savings

4. find another home

Can you cross off anything that's on my list?

Regarding myself I am able to cross off 1, and 4 from my list. I am working on trying to cross off 2, and 3 from my list.

Anyway if your mom owns the house then yes she can kick you out!

Regarding the police if they get involved then they might tell your mom that she has to give you a month to vacate, and after that month is over then she can lock you out.

Regarding the covid-19 pandemic you won't be able to use that as an excuse. The police will probably force you to leave if you choose not to leave.

Why don't you just find yourself an appt?

If you are a legal adult living in your parent's home, they can legally change the locks and place your belonging in a storage unit where you can collect them at your convenience.

Even if that were not legal, any hold on court proceedings would work AGAINST you when you tried to sue to get back in.

Well, you are 21+ and thus legally an adult.

So in theory she can. 

The devil, as they say, is in the details. If there is a landlord/tenant relationship, which does not have to be in writing, then she must go through the legal eviction process. Evictions for non-payment of rent are on hold in most jurisdictions in the US (in some they are not, so where you are is crucial), but evictions for other breaches of the agreement may not be.

How to prove you are a tenant vs an adult child the parent is telling to leave, which is legal and is not an eviction, and for which the police can be called to escort you off the property:

1. Copies of monthly checks in the same amount to your mother that would support your claim that you pay rent.

2. Copies of monthly checks paid to the mortgage lender on the mortgage account that would support your claim that you are paying rent - you have no ownership interest in the property unless you are on the deed to the property.

3. Monthly receipts from your mother for cash payments, in the same amount every month, you made that would support your claim that you pay to live there.

If you have nothing to prove there is an agreement for you to live there with a specific amount you pay every month, then your claim of being a tenant, rather than an adult child who has worn out their welcome and needs to leave the nest, becomes very weak.

Your best bet, either way, is to save the money to move into your own place.

She can evict you, yes.

The "hold" on evictions during covid is ONLY for failure to pay rent. One can still be evicted for any other reasons