How long does it take to receive and accept injured spouse form?

My wife and I did our first joint return using Turbotax in February. We were expecting about 2400. When it showed up in the bank, we only received less than 300. She had a student loan she let slip by and the refund was garnished. I mailed out a Injured Spouse Form back in mid February. Just the form nothing else attached. I havent received anything in the mail and there is no way for me to call and find out(I tried calling the IRS 800 number but thats no help). Its been about 3 months since I mailed it out. Any ideas on when I should get something or hear anything or is there another number I can call? Thank you.

Nobody knows. All the IRS employees were sent home so they will get to it when they get to it.

• Amy

Right now, the IRS is not conducting any business other than sending out stimulus checks to the people who deserve them. They definitely don't have time for your fraudulent claims about a "student loan" when you stated in another post that your refund went to unpaid child support.

Injured Spouse status protects a newly- or soon-to-be-divorced person whose ex-spouse lied to them about tax fraud. It's not for a couple that is still filing jointly.

Quite a while given current circumstances.

Are you sure that this was a student loan in default?  Reason for asking is that generally you receive nothing if there is a garnishment so one of two things are possible; either that was the entire amount in default or you were mistaken and there was another reason for the smaller than expected refund.  If that was the entire loan, you would be nuts to not pay it off.  Your credit will improve and you avoid accrued interest.  Student loans should be paid off as fast as possible. 

Mailed in items are not being processed right now due to furloughs related to COVID-19.  There is simply no one there to process anything manual.

They will get to it eventually.

If you are lucky, you will get something this Fall.

• NA

FWIW, 3000 IRS employees have been called back in to work paper.  That's about 20% of the workforce and a 2 month backlog.