Bought a car from private party in Az. Found it won’t pass smog. Who is responsible to get repairs to pass?

You live in Cal and are unaware it has the strictest emission laws in the country?  

You are. You buy what you buy--hence the term "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer beware." All repairs after you buy a used car are your responsibility. 

you          .

• hart

use engine stop leak

With the exception of California, most state have ZERO requirements of vehicles sold by private parties as long as the seller actually owns the vehicle, and doesn't LIE about its condition. That is why if I by from a private individual, my first condition is we meet at a shop of MY choice and I don't commit to the purchase until the shop returns an inspection report acceptable to me. That doesn't necessarily mean I won't buy the vehicle if they find an issue, but I may reduce the amount I am willing to pay to compensate for the cost of repairs.

In short, unless they explicitly told you it had recently passed when it had not, you have no legal recourse in MOST states.

Note: If it passed any testing required in AZ, but failed testing required in another state to which you moved the vehicle, you wouldn't have a case even it they stated in writing it passed.

• None1 month agoReport

Even if they say they said it passed emissions he has not let to stand on. It passed emissions in AS not CA and it didn’t fail emissions but smog standards. Which don’t even exist in AZ at all, so he can’t even promise it would pass in the first place. 

Your car now. Your problem now. Give us the OBD2 codes if you want more help.

• None1 month agoReport

Likely didn’t have OBD2 codes, they are talking about California smog inspections. It has nothing to do with standard emissions and it’s stupid strict. 

• car253

If you bought in California the seller has to make the car pass smog.  Big mistake you bought in Arizona.   You are responsible.     What is wrong with the car ?

You are. When you buy from a private party, you buy "as is."

You are. You bought a used vehicle and there is no warranty or guarantee.

If it's a P0420 or P0430 code you need a new catalytic converter. The 02 sensors are okay. You won't set those two codes unless the 02 sensors are working.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Private sales are "as is"..  You could have had it inspected before purchase.   You are responsible for the repairs