Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 4 months ago

Is it wrong for a Christian to get a tattoo?   My mom thinks it is while my dad says it OK  if it's not vulgar ?

Leviticus 19:28 forbids it, but since the bible is a book of fairy tales, do what you want with your body

• Evi

Christian lady right here, I also currently have 9 tattoos, and I plan on having more at some point. I love art, and wearing it is just  one of the ways I show my appreciation for art. 

Let me consult ye cave hermits of olde.

Consulting...

Leviticus says you will surely burn in hell.

Also he says shaving your beard is a sin, so don't do that.

• Mystic

It's fine as long as it is nothing offensive. You will not go to Hell for a tattoo. Your personality and behavior is what determine your fate. Be a good person and you will join your Lord and Savior in the heavenly afterlife when your time comes.

• drip

Read the Bible.

The most direct verse about not marking your body is Leviticus 19:28. 

It is t just about reading that verse and obeying or not. You should talk to your pastor about what it means and why it was said. 

As an adult you need to make these decision for yourself.   

What you have to ask yourself is whether Jesus would have worn tattoos.

I think the answer has to be no since Jesus would have been fully aware of what is written in Leviticus and which forbids it.

Christians are instructed to dress modestly. That is so that unwanted attention is not drawn. By wearing a tattoo you are encouraging others to look at it.

However, I have to be honest that if that tattoo acts as a witness to others of your faith then that is certainly much less of a sin than having anything which is more worldly in nature.

But the overriding factor, I believe, is the statement that a Christian's body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

What you have to consider is how your pastor would feel if the beautiful white painted church you attend has graffiti written on the wall in fancy writing, even if they are scriptural quotes or has pictures drawn on it, no matter how artistic those pictures are? 

Do I believe that those tattoos, in themselves, would act as a barrier between the individual and salvation? No, I dont think so that would be what comes out of the mouth and which, in turn, depends on the contents of the heart and of course, your kindness and gentleness towards other people and your deeds otherwise.

I have to side with mom though and say that it is almost certainly better if you don't.

The demon possessed man was marking himself with sharp rocks until Jesus delivered him from the demons causing him to do that. There is a clue there I feel.

I know lots of Christians, including pastors who have tattoos. Many Christians use the Bible verse Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourself" as proof that getting a tattoo is a sin. However, if you look at Scripture in context you'll see that the Bible doesn't really address or say anything about our modern day concept of tattoos.

I would just suggest that you think long and hard about it before you do it, as it will be with you for the rest of your life.  Many people (Christian or otherwise) regret choices they made as teenagers and young adults when it comes to tatoos and piercings. 

• LM440

There are many important parts to following the Christian faith,  none of which have anything to do with tattoos.  

The only thing that matters is what YOU think and what YOU believe. It's your body and your belief.

I'm with your mother, not because the Old Testament bans it but because it's something you are stuck with for life and your views will change as you grow up.