Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

32 moving home ready to throw in towel ?

I’m 32 years old, divorced, no kids, lost my job due to this coronavirus the company completely shut its doors. 

I live 14 hours from home and my ex husband wants to sell the house we own. It’s not worth much money it’s a townhouse and I’m not sure we should be selling mid-coronavirus. I think we are going to lose the little bit of money we would make on the home. I have a grand total of 3,000 left in my savings account after everything that’s went on the past year. I’m really ready to give up and move home but I’m embarrassed to do so at 32. I’d EVENTUALLY like to get married again and I’d really like to have children but I fear that the clock is ticking for everything in my life. I feel like a complete and utter failure. I’ve been looking for work with absolutely no luck everything is closed unless I want to work at a grocery store which at this point seems like my only option. I’m getting unemployment however I’m now being told that because my company CLOSED permanently I can’t collect the 600.00 extra per week which makes NO SENSE. This leaves me with a grand total of 171.00 per week until mid-June. NOBODY can live off of that. The state I live in pays TERRIBLE for unemployment the MAXIMUM benefit amount is 284.00 per week. Honestly just feel like I have no other option but to give up. I’m so depressed I haven’t eaten in days. 

• KTJoe

The beauty of it all you're young, no children, will soon be with family who love and care about you and the stress of a bad marriage is over.  Go through the process of letting go aka crying feeling depressed but know things will change will get better. Say a prayer ask God for direction, "What am I to do". 

What's your question?  I don't see one, just a bunch of negativity and complaints.  You are not a failure--you won't be the first person to get a divorce.  Lucky, no children.  You also aren't the first to lose a job; in this pandemic, you are certainly not alone!   I see this as positive--and here's the real positivity: you have a place to go, and you can continue looking for a job.  It's gonna be okay.

I had to move back with my parents when I was 50 after I had been unemployed or greatly underemployed for 2-1/2 years (and I have three university degrees).  

You're not a failure; it's our political and economic systems that have failed you.  If you decide to sell your townhouse, hunker down at your parents' place until this coronavirus thing blows over.  But don't sell your townhouse unless you feel that you will benefit.  Never mind what your ex thinks.

• ron h

buy 4 beers.  2 for you and 2 for a friend. Drink them with your friend and decide tomorrow what you're gonna do. You need a very short, inexpensive vacation.  (Do NOT risk a DUI!)

at least you have no kids like someone mentioned so you can start fresh. I am turning 32 this year and never been married so at least you have experience in a relationship where you know what works and what don't

Congrats, you have no children and no ugly marriage. That is much less than others with children have, who are stuck in bad marriages and broke during this horrific pandemic.

There are literally millions of adult children flocking back home for simular reasons. My son is 33 and lives with his dad. He is not a failure  nor is he giving up.

As time goes on, things always change. And your life will also change. It will.

I know woman who married in their late 30s and had children when they were 38, 40 and 43 hears old. So, stop your depressing I ternal dialogue as if your life is over because it is not.

You have only been an adult for 14 years. You have about four times more than that to live your life. A lifetime to create a new life for yourself.

Stop bullying yourself. Instead forgive yourself for any mistakes you may have made and figure out what to do from here.

If you can rent out your townhouse or get a room mate to split the expenses, I would do that. Because, soon enough, I really believe the real estate market will pick up. You see, this pandemic will make people think twice about their living situation. With everyone staying at home, people are going to realize they need to downsize, while others will be moving out of their parent''s homes. Those are two huge markets for real estate buyers who will be wanting a townhome. Think about that.

Do not give up. You are not a failure. This is a temporary circumstance. You have some options and will do what is right for yourself.

If you must move back home, so  e it. You are so lucky that you even have a place to go, as some people have no place to go, so they live under real dark clouds.

At least you don't live in Australia.

I was 33 when I moved back home after My ex husband and I separated. We got divorced when I was 34. There's nothing wrong living with your parents during this Coronavirus. 

• hopethishelps

so what you are saying "I'm in the Ditch and I want to Drag My Parents In With Me"....your parents are probably "Baby Boomers"....the last of the Great Ones!

I can understand the feeling of despair you must be experiencing. But I want you to remember this quote from the silent film actress Mary Pickford:  "You can have a fresh start any time you choose, because this thing we call failure is not the FALLING down, it's the STAYING down."

You've had a few hits to the head recently. But you're not a failure. What you are is one of the thousands of people who have had some very bad luck and experiences. That's not trying to diminish your situation--it's saying that you are not ALONE. 

I'm close to 70 years old. I have had to start over more than once. It can be done. No, it's not easy and it's not fun, and it's not always smooth. But you CAN. That quote from Mary Pickford has saved my mental state more than once. You can't let this be the breaking point for you. Don't give other people and the system that much control. Stand up. Put one foot in front of the other and move ahead. Prioritize what is most important--income? Housing? Don't worry about losing that townhome to a lower price, you might have had that problem even without the virus. Let your ex sell and take whatever you can get. 

And stop being embarrassed. This is nothing to be embarrassed about. You are still really young--seriously!--and you have plenty of time to recover and I can tell you this for a rock-solid certain FACT--nothing stays the same for long. Change is constant. You can ride it out. 

Like everybody hasn't suffered.  You have no responsibility to support a family or save your business, quit whining like a baby.  Do what every woman has always done since the beginning of time, get a chump to pay for stuff.  

• Janet

Just because YOU attract losers doesn't mean all women are losers. Your comment says more about your failings than about women.