Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How can a vet remove the porcupine quills on dogs? Do they just remove them like one would do?

A dog would definitely need to be sedated, or perhaps actually knocked out because this is a painful situation, and would take a lot of experience getting all the quill out.   I suggest not something the average novice owner would/should attempt.

• Ocimom

As far as I know. the quils are cut off and the remaining piece its pull out so the barbs don't pull back and cause more damage/pain.  There is no way to soften a quill and remove it.

• John

Porkypine quills are barbed and when softened just slide right out. You need to soak the dog in a bath 

My Vet sedated my dog, cut the quills, pulled them out.  He told me it's an extremely painful procedure - and so the dog was sedated.

As far as I know there is only one way to pull quills, pliers & pull them out. Since they have a hook on the end they are hard to pull & very painful for the dog. Dog would need antibiotic once quills are remove. Pull rather quickly to lessen the pain of them coming out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pulling+porcupine+...

They sedate the dog and pull them out with a pliers, I’ve seen it done.

https://youtu.be/cNcJCARzFx0

Youtube thumbnail

• Goerge

I saw Coyote Peterson remove quills so let's go find that video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-u4CsnygA

Youtube thumbnail

It basically shows him cutting the quill in half which releases some internal pressure making it easier to remove. Don't follow Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey's lead which had the vet simply pulling them out. 

In the first place you need to understand the design of a porcupine quill. They are hollow tubes that are tipped with backward barbs much like a fish hook. A veterinarian will sedate a dog first before attempting to remove any of them. If you try to remove them the dog will experience pain and struggle which will possibly result in the end of the quills breaking off. Since the barbs only allow the quill to move in one direction without external force you run the risk of them burying deeper into the dog causing potential damage that can and should be avoided.

• patty

they would be under aenthasetic i believe

• Maxi

Likely a vet would give the dog a mild sedative and remove them one by one same as anyone else would do