Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 5 months ago

What year did the age requirement to buy alcohol legally go from 18 to 21?

In the United States by the federal government nationwide. If there was no federal law, then when did the feds withhold money to the states for not raising the age or what single event led to most states raising the age during what year?

• Gert

1984. Prior to 1984, a lot of states allowed 18 year olds to drink.

it was sometime in the late 70's i think. You can google the question (or any question you think of)

• james

Still 15 were I live. 

In the late 80s. The second this law become reality, the whole "teen is an adult" idea became indefensible, illogical, and incorrect. 

Did you look it up ?

• Walt

around 1982 or 83

It fell to 18 in the late 60s or early 70s, then due to highly emotional campaigns by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the minimum age went up and the maximum amount of blood alcohol to determine intoxication dropped. This was all one more moral campaign by conservatives.

• kswck2

It was in 1984. I remember that because I was tending bar at the point in my life. I spent half the night carding everyone. 

In what state ........

You would need to check the law for your country but it is still 18 here in UK