Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 month ago

what do people think of the Canadian accent?

what does it sound like? I cant tell the difference with American accents unless I hear a southern accent. I also get new York and new jersey mixed up but I can tell they sound diffrent

The general US accent (called Midland) and the Canadian accent have similarities. There are some differences such the elongation of words like "about" which Canadians might say, a-boot. "out" may sound like "oot". Some Canadians have a tendency to end a question with, "eh?" (pronounced: long "A") as in "is that correct?" (ex: the two of them took a long time to arrive, eh?) They also share a tendency with the Brits and the Aussies. They don't go to "the hospital, they go to "hospital" where the article word (a, an, the) is dropped before the noun. " (ex: She went to university).  Canadians from the Maritime provinces in the east sometimes sound almost Irish, but that isn't true of most Canadians.   

US and Canadian accents are about the same.  You can pick up the 'boot' in a Canadian, but I don't recognize much else.

I like it as it more of neutral accent not one of those weird accent where you feel the need of subtitles in real life.

both the canadian and american accent is mainly through irish influence ..

• JJ

Jim Carrey is from Canada, and he's really odd. So I suppose all Canadians are like him.

• 1 month agoReport

jim carrey sounds odd to me as well so idk