Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 month ago

what do people think of the Canadian accent?

what does it sound like? I cant tell the difference with American accents unless I hear a southern accent. I also get new York and new jersey mixed up but I can tell they sound diffrent

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

The general US accent (called Midland) and the Canadian accent have similarities. There are some differences such the elongation of words like "about" which Canadians might say, a-boot. "out" may sound like "oot". Some Canadians have a tendency to end a question with, "eh?" (pronounced: long "A") as in "is that correct?" (ex: the two of them took a long time to arrive, eh?) They also share a tendency with the Brits and the Aussies. They don't go to "the hospital, they go to "hospital" where the article word (a, an, the) is dropped before the noun. " (ex: She went to university).  Canadians from the Maritime provinces in the east sometimes sound almost Irish, but that isn't true of most Canadians.   

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

US and Canadian accents are about the same.  You can pick up the 'boot' in a Canadian, but I don't recognize much else.

• 1 month ago

I like it as it more of neutral accent not one of those weird accent where you feel the need of subtitles in real life.

• 1 month ago

both the canadian and american accent is mainly through irish influence ..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JJ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Jim Carrey is from Canada, and he's really odd. So I suppose all Canadians are like him.

• 1 month agoReport

jim carrey sounds odd to me as well so idk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.