Marvin
Marvin asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 month ago

Why are so many adopted children resentful adults?

I was reading on the internet.  A lot of adopted kids grew up to be pretty resentful adults.  Why is that?

I am 54 and never had children by choice. I met my wife 8 years ago while working a job in Singapore (I am from LA). She only had a son out of maritial obligation to her late husband. She was not mother material. I brought ber back to the USA with me over two years ago.  Last year her son finished the 8th grade, so I petitioned him to come live with us.  She had not had custody of him since he was 6. 

I adopted him just recently.  He knows that he was "chosen".  We are very close.  He is hardly what I would call resentful. When I met him he did not know how to swim, ride a scateboard, or write code on a computer.  Now he can do all those things.

Yes he is closer to me than to his mother, but he does like to get a "family hug" (all three of us together)..

I guess this depends on who adopts the kid. Like real parents, adopted pare ts can be good or bad. Resentful ones are the ones that post on websites, like this one.

• edward

I don’t know how to ride a skateboard or write code. I do know how to spell skateboard though. Adopted kids often don’t feel loved and start calling the real parents awful things. When i say real parents i mean the ones who raised the kids, not the ones who share similar genetic material. It’s rude and disrespectful to the real parents and that’s why they grow old being resentful, they could never forgive themselves for what they did to the people who loved them most.

Pulled that one out of my hat. I don’t know where you get your information

• edward

The jist of it is.  That’s false information and i don’t know where you got it from.  

"So many" is a vague number.

Those who are resentful are more likely to post about it.  Those who are not do not.