Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Is it true milk used to be delivered to your house every morning?

No, not every morning. There was a route, like a mailman, but usually, you got enough to last a few days or a week. Most people didn't have room for more than a little bit, because refrigerators (and before that, ice boxes) were fairly small.

The milk, and sometimes cottage cheese, butter, ice cream, cream, was delivered to your home by a uniformed man, and the housewife, who was home most of the time, picked it up off the back porch and brought it in. When the glass bottle or container was empty, it was washed and set back outside in a little rack. Then, the man came to the house and swapped out empties for full.

Source(s): I was a little girl in the 50s and 60s and I saw this happen.
    • Big1 month agoReport

AH, the good old days. When blacks behaved themselves...

Yes, and a quarter pint to each junior school child along

with cod liver oil and malt to start the day!

yes that is very true and it was cool !!! they stopped doing that in the 1970s

they had milk and eggs and ice cream and 2 other things

Yes, a lot of people had milk delivered. My parents sometimes had milk delivered, sometimes they went to the local shop to buy it. And the rest of the time we had goats milk as my dad bred goats. 

We had it delivered weekly.

When we went to our house in Connecticut for the summer it was. Don’t remember if it was every single day. Might have been. But there was an aluminum box outside the front door and the milk truck came and the driver put the glass milk bottles in it and then when you were finished you put the empty glass bottles back in the aluminum box and he picked them up and put more milk in there. To be honest I completely forgot about that until you asked this question. That was like in the late 1950s into the ‘60s or something when I was a little kid. Seems kind of weird now. But there were others weird things going on like when you went to get gas they always pumped it, no self service and they always checked your oil and washed your windshield. Every single time. And I remember being in my early teens and being able to go and buy cigarettes they didn’t ID you or anything. And when you went to the supermarket you bought your food but they bagged it and put it a little conveyor belt system that went from inside the store to the outside and you pulled your car up and there was a guy there to take your bags out of the bin and put them in the trunk of your car or in your backseat or whatever. They were just ‘weird’ things going on. You interacted more with people actually. I think people basically trusted one another more also

• W

Yep.

• e9601:

Yes it's true. Milk and eggs. Also had the Omar Man deliver pastries.

Not for me, personally, but to my mum, who was born in England, True. She still has clears memories of it. 

Yes that's true. The milk deliveries were usually very early in the morning--sometimes before the sun was up. There was a basket on the doorstep so you could put the empty bottles in it for the milk man to pick up and he would replace them with new filled ones. You could also have him deliver butter and cheese, cream and other dairy products. 

Milk deliveries continued in many areas until the mid-80s. 

• humpty

Yes, milk and butter were delivered every day. There were also egg and produce deliveries on a regular basis.