Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 month ago

As a male at 73 would you go through a bunch of heart surgeries & tests or call it quits & don't do anything?

I would probably at least test to find out the extent of the issue, and make a determination based on the doctor's prognosis

Source(s): Healthcare professional
  • Daniel

There isn't much you can do...  Letting the person know you are there if they need anything can be helpful.

It is best to let the person who is ill manage him or herself.

Well, I'm 69 and I had a quadruple bypass surgery last year. No big deal and I was out of the hospital in 5 days.

I married late l life and my kids are just now popping out grandchildren. I'd like to be around long enough to chat with them.

It’s a hard question to answer. I’m about  a decade younger than you And because i ran into some really incompetent psychiatrists after my divorce who put me on a lot of psych drugs that destroyed my body and brain, including needing endocrine  surgeries etc., I just want doctors to stay away from  me basically these days. Especially the ones here. The doctors I’ve been in this state I live in (CT) have been horrendous. I came here very healthy and physically active and am now fairly crippled in numerous ways.I just don’t think these people know what they’re doing so sometimes even if there’s something wrong with me these days I don’t even want to have it looked at. Because I’m afraid they’re going to do more harm than good. And they’ve already done enough harm. So I can understand how you would be asking yourself this question. I’m not really sure how much longer I’m going to be around either. Sometimes I just want to live out the remainder of my days in peace without them having to take more stuff out of my body or mess me up more. I understand it’s a difficult decision. But like I said, sometimes you just want be left alone. In peace.

Get whatever you have wrong fixed.  I avoided 2 massive heart attacks by being aware of my body.  The tests were easy and necessary.  I had double by-pass surgery in 2015 and a double stent inserted in an artery in 2019.  I’ll be 69 in June and I get around very well.  Never give up !

Source(s): Self experience
  • Tj

Id say, there are many years left. Id do what I had to do to live.

• ron h

Unless the tests are really hard to do, I'd say get them. With better info, you'll make a better decision. It's hard for strangers here to give you advice on this.  People don't live forever. but if most of your days are good, with minimal pain, that's good.  If most of your days are hard and full of pain and you'll never get better, you have to decide how much more you want.  If the doctors recommend some treatment, if it doesn't sound good, ask what other treatments might work.  If you've got family, talk to them, but it'll still be your decision.  If you decide that you don't want much done for you, put that in writing in a Healthcare Power of Attorney or a "living will." (Different names in different states.)

As long as I have a reason for doing so, I'd do everything I can to continue living.

• Scott

I would go through the tests.  My dad had a heart valve replacement.  He turned 80 in January and still works part time and goes fishing a lot.

• A

Get the tests, get the diagnosis and proposed plan. It is all about quality of life, today many people live into their 90's I would not just sit around and wait or death