Are Neanderthals and Cro Magnons different races of humans?

And I mean race race, similar to how in fantasy their is different races of orcs.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

In the 1960 the theory was that they were species of **** Erectus, one (Neanderthal) evolving into Modern **** Sapiens. The other becoming extinct, and being more primitive that Neanferthal.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Kind of a gray area. In a convention popular in the 1990s, Neanderthals were classified as a subspecies of H. sapiens, as H. s. neanderthalensis, while AMH (or European early modern humans, EEMH) was taken to refer to "Cro-Magnon" or H. s. sapiens. It has since become more common to designate Neanderthals as a separate species, H. neanderthalensis, so that AMH in the European context refers to H. sapiens, but the question is by no means resolved.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Neanderthals are a different species than Cro Magnon. Neanderthals are H. neanderthalensis, and they evolved from archaic humans (H. erectus) that emigrated to Europe from Africa.. Neanderthals last shared a common ancestor with modern humans 500,000 years ago according to mitochondrial DNA evidence.

Modern humans evolved from an African population of H. erectus 200,000 years ago. Modern humans migrated out of Africa 60,000 years ago. Some of these Africans ended up in SE Asia and some ended up in Central Asia. Then, 40,000 years ago, some Central Asians entered Europe. These early Europeans are what we call Cro-Magnon. They are the ancestors of modern Europeans. They are therefore H. sapiens, just like their SE Asian cousins and African cousins.  Side note: it is frustrating and silly that Yahoo treats the genus name of humans as a 4 letter word and bleeps it out. I have to use the H. abbreviation instead of the genus name.

• 1 month ago

From the Internet I found this as the answer:

"Amazingly, the two species actually overlapped in Europe for a few thousand years. So did they interbreed? While scientists allow that there were probably plenty of random matings and hookups, any long-term interbreeding is unlikely. And while there are many reasons for this, the simplest are that a) they were probably physically repulsive to each other, and b) they couldn't meaningfully communicate. And also c) beer wasn't invented yet." [Neanderthal vs. Cro-Magnon: What's the Difference?]

Joke aside, the two are actually two different species. You and I are in the same species as Cro-Magnon, but not Neanderthal. Neanderthal is a dead-end species they did not evolve any further.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.