Does a car dealership need to know where your registering your car to sell it to you?

I am a travel nurse and am not sure where I am going to reside just yet. One state has a sales tax but the other one doesn't. I was going to be purchasing the vehicle in the state with no sales tax.

• Snezzy

Standard trick, years ago, was to borrow an address in New Hampshire while living in Massachusetts, thus avoiding the tax. The tax people are now considerably aware of that trick. If you buy a car in NH but live in MA you must pay Massachusetts the tax.

Your friendly car dealer's office folks will walk you through all the correct steps if you tell them your specific details. They've seen it all before.

• g

The dealer is obligated to process vehicle title and registration for you.

Where you purchase the vehicle is irrelevant due to the fact you will have to pay tax to the state in which you reside.  

Yes, if you want to dealer to get a license plate and title for you.

Yes, the dealer must file your paperwork and collect tax. This will be based on your current address at the time you buy the car. If you move later, you'll have to go through the process again in the new state.

• Bob2 months agoReport

Thank you for your answer. I was just really concerned because they were asking about were I was registering it before I even decided on a vehicle I liked or applied for financing. I thought it was a strange question to begin with.

Yes, very much so. Where you buy does not matter for sales tax, where you live and buy a tag does.

• A

Yes because they have to collect the appropriate sales tax and to know where to send the title

• Kieth

They need your address information, they can't just hand you a blank.