Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Is it worth buying an electric-bicycle?

I just want to be able to run errands to 

the supermarket, to the bus-stop or to 

hang out at Starbucks. The bus-system

is terribly inneffective here in Los Angeles. 

the electric-bicycles and skateboards are starting to show up at goodwill stores

not worth the money just a toy to play with and dump a year later dont fall for it

• Jahal

Probably not cost effective.

If you might move within e year, think about living in Santa Monica, Culver City,  or even the valley. There are little cities near LA with good bus systems. I have a friend in LA who hasn't driven in 20 years, and loves public transit.

• Marvin

I enjoyed mine until the battery failed the second time.  That is when I realized that replacing the battery twice came to the same price as the bike itself.

Are you disabled? Can you not just ride a regular bicycle? 

I live in L.A. too and I'll be honest... Unless you live in one of the few places with protected bike lanes you couldn't pay me enough to ride a bike in this city. The public transportation sucks but so does the bike infrastructure in most parts. So I wouldn't do this unless you're certain you can do it safely. Our fair city has the highest rate of auto v. bike fatalities in the world.

Just buy a regular one.

Be prepared to spend another $300-400 or more on ways to keep it from being stolen.

• Mark

I suppose so.  A friend of mine had one, and she liked it for just that reason, though LA has a rather good bus/rail system.

They are a great way to get around. Not for long distances, but for running errands and such they are great. Better for you and the environment.

• Orla

Why cheat yourself from exercise ?  Get a real bike.