Robert asked in PetsHorses · 4 months ago

What is the reason you get on a horse on the left side ?        ?

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but I was always told that it's cause back when knights used to ride horses into combat, their swords would be on the right side of their body. So, they would do everything on the left side of the horse as to keep the sword away from them and not accidentally injure them. 

• Ocimom

Has to do with men in battle long ago.  The sword was on the left side and it could be awkward to swing the leg with the sword on the right side.

I agree with most of the answers, in my case when I rode I had a rope, hobbles and a canteen which was mounted on my right side.

The custom of mounting and dismounting from the left or near side of the horse dates to the Middle Ages, and it may even go back further than that. It came about because most of the knights of the time generally carried swords on the right sides of their saddles, which made mounting from the right very awkward. After the Chinese discovered gun powder and guns were invented, the swords were eventually replaced by rifles, but the custom of mounting from the left continued.

The history of the sword is correct.

But any current day person or instructor who is telling you that you should always mount and dismount from the left is incorrect.

Horses and riders should be balanced.  They should be able to do things equally on both sides.   It's better for both body and brain as well as safety/convenience.

Let's say you're out on a trail.  There may be times where you NEED to mount/dismount from the right side.  And how awkward/unsafe for everyone if you're clumsy at it or the horse balks. 

I make a point of mounting and dismounting my horse from the right. 

• Snezzy

Yes, the answer about the sword is correct.  There is also the matter of walking your dog to your left side, so you can lead your horse on your right and your dog on the left. If you're with the dog but no horse, you still want the dog on the side away from your "sword arm." In slightly more modern times you want the dog similarly away from your gun hand. Ask a cop which side gets the dog. Answer: opposite the gun hand.

If you dig deeply enough into right-versus-left lore you might even discover that when driving a coach and four you have the reins in your left hand and the whip in your right, and that you drive your coach on the left side of the road to avoid catching that 28-foot-long whip in overhanging branches. A four-in-hand whip is powerful expensive.

As a result of all these things we may safely conclude that the English drive on the proper side of the road whilst we uncouth Americans have perversely chosen the wrong side.

• Maxi

History and tradition............. Most soldiers carried their swords on the left side in order to grab with their right hand. “So if they needed to draw it out while riding their horse, they would be able to get on the horse without the sword getting in the way,” So the left side is the standard for interacting with horses

• Mark

They tend to kick to the right.  The opposite is true of cows.  If you're milking them, best to be on the right side...

• *****

It's just a relic from the days when people carried swords on the left, so the sword didn't hit the horse when swinging your leg over to mount. You can mount a horse from either side, but some are not accustomed to people mounting on the right. I mount mine from either side.