Ellie asked in SportsFootball (American) · 5 months ago

Should I Play Football?

I’m a girl in my freshman year of high school. I was on my freshman football team all summer but I really sucked because I didn’t put in the effort I should have. I had no friends on the team (probably because I was nervous and was very standoffish my first week) so I was pretty alone. No one really supported me except for my dad so that made it really hard too. Because I sucked they eventually told me at the end of the summer that I would be benched the whole season. So I quit. That experience has been my only regret. I should have tried harder, I shouldn’t have skipped practices, I should have been friendlier, I should’ve been braver, etc. It pops up in my mind every now and then and when it does it brings me to tears. I was miserable and yet I want to try again. It’s been my dream and there were little moments where I felt so powerful and I know if I gave the effort, I’d feel that powerful every time I hit the field. I’m thinking of trying out my junior year but that seems impossible seeing I’d be playing against 16 year old boys. What do I do?

I should note that it’s American football

Football betting predictions from https://highrollertips.net/

The reason why there are not more female football players is because ESPN and College Football have a bias against players that are female and/or white. However, the tide seems to have turned in recent years. Keep in mind, females have come a long way in the last 40 years. The number of high school senior girls playing football has increased rapidly since 2010 and 2011. 

In 2010, Ashley Flinn became the first female to get a scholarship to play for a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) program: http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/... 

In early February 2012, Brianna Amat became the first female to be recruited to play for a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) program, when she signed her Letter of Intent to play football at Western Michigan University for the 2012 season. 

In 2012, Sami Logan proved that a high school football team with a female quarterback could compete, and even win, against the very best high school football teams in the country. 

A 17-year-old high school senior, Sami started the season as a water girl for Centennial High School's football team. Sami ended the season with a 6-1 record as Centennial's starting quarterback, with 5 playoff wins, and the only loss coming to De La Salle, the #1 ranked high school football team in the country. In fact, Centennial scored at least 70 points in 2 of the first 3 games Sami started. 

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013, Sami Logan made history when she signed her Letter of Intent to play college football at USC for this season. In doing so, Sami became the first female quarterback to sign a Letter of Intent to play for a college football program. 

My sister was 4'11 and weighed 98 pounds, when she played her football during her senior year of high school, at age 17. Prior to her senior year of high school, she never played a sport. After her 17th birthday, however, she decided to exercise by going on long runs every day during the summer prior to her senior year of high school. She continued her very healthy eating habits that year, and ate the same way she normally would in any other year. All that hard work that summer enabled my sister to play the wide receiver position in her senior year of high school. Although that was her only year of football, my sister held her own pretty well! 

Although there are many benefits of playing football, the game had one negative effect on my sister's body. Playing football caused my sister's once beautiful-looking feet to become very dry, and have cracked heels. [This is the main reason why my sister decided to stop playing football once her senior season of football was over.] Her feet would smell bad after the games, so I would put lotion on them and give her a nice, long foot massage. To this day, my sister and I still do not really know/understand why her feet suddenly became disgusting during her senior year of high school. 

At my alma mater, Rancocas Valley Regional High School, our team started a female quarterback for the first time. Her name is Lindsey Bice, and she went 1-1 during the 2015 season, leading the team to a 42-7 win on Homecoming against Allentown and losing 7-0 to Lenape in the first round of the playoffs. 

In fact, the next step in the movement of females playing football is started to take place. 

The great part is that this is only the beginning. The number of girls playing college football will only rise rapidly in the next 3-4 years, as we head towards the 2017-2018, 2018-2019, and 2019-2020 college football seasons. 

There are already positions in football, such as wide receiver and kicker, where a female can play in the NFL. It is only a matter of time before a woman breaks through, and becomes the first to play in the NFL, in the future. 

In fact, I am 100% confident that a female will play in the NFL in the future, although I believe that is still years away from happening. By the year 2031, I think we will see the first female NFL player. 

Being the student football manager is almost like being an extra assistant on the coaching staff. You can support the team in this role by keeping stats, helping out with organizational stuff, and even lend the coach a hand by drawing up plays.

Sounds like you'll always regret not giving it another shot. Just know that you will be different than the rest of the team and likely will be treated different. HS boys always find a reason to give someone a hard time or keep them on the outs. If your goal is football, then focus on that and don't worry about the rest. You do well, and you'll be accepted (except by those who you are threatening to take a starting spot from.)

Go with how you feel in your heart.