Why do people think the Coronavirus isn't all that serious?

It saddens me to see people who think the government lockdown is far worse than the Coronavirus.

It isn't that serious for the vast majority of people, and has an almost 100% recovery rate. 

Four of my coworkers have had it and are now back to work. 

They live in a bubbled existence in which if something isn't directly affecting them then it isn't a real problem. It is a form of detachment from reality but might also be part of a psychological defence mechanism. By telling yourself that something either isn't a genuine threat or doesnt exist it can make you feel a lot more comfortable about life. 

Mainly because they haven't had it like myself.

They may feel this way because maybe they haven't been affected by the virus personally.I know several people who have loss loved ones to the virus.I encourage everyone to take it seriously. 

Normalcy bias.  It happened with the Mt St Helens eruption, where certain people just couldn't believe things were going to be different and died in the explosion as a result because they didn't move out of their homes. Also, they want to be getting on with earning money and because Covid-19 is preventing that they choose to deny its seriousness.  But we do all generally assume that life will carry on as it did before because it's difficult to cope with a life which constantly shocks us.

• D1218

They don't know too much about it.

They’re careless people that’s why

• Zirp

because they haven't seen people choke on it with their own eyes.

and some people distrust EVERY decision made by the government

• Dave

Because states like Pennsylvania are lying about the death statistics.  They were caught listing Corona as a "PROBABLE" cause of death, even when the virus was not confirmed.

It has a survival rate of 98+%

The lockdown was an overreaction