could i still get promoted after calling in due to health issues?

i currently work in fast food and love my job. i have been working there since early january and have called in about 5 times (3 of which i had doctors notes). i have plans of becoming a manager and going up from there but recently have called in quite a bit due to health issues. is it likely they won’t want to make me a manager anymore because of this? i understand that they of course want an employee they can rely on to become a manager rather than one who calls in all the time. i am currently trying to work out these health issues with my doctor but had to call in the past 2 days on top of the other few days i’ve called in during my time working there. also, they have specifically said a few months ago that they plan on promoting me to a manager as soon as i’m 18 next february. i don’t want to ruin this job because i really love it. 

It might help to know the health issues.  Don't forget, we have no idea who you are, and there are plenty of teens (and adults!) out there who stay home if they sneeze.

Part of the reason I ask is that I've been a manager in a couple different jobs for years, and I can give you my reaction.  This is way too many absences, esp in the 1st 6 months.  But it might matter whether this is a long term or short term issue. 

I do think  you want to talk to them before they talk to you.  It's always impressive when someone does this. You just need to think about what you want to say.  Obviously, you want to tell them you love the job and it's equally important you emphasize that you understand this is too many absences.  Then tell them anything that you feel comfortable sharing.  (This part is  hard without knowing what's wrong with you!) In particular, I think they'll want to know if this is about to end, or there's still uncertainty.  Are you concerned that you'll need to take more time off before this is resolved?  Wait and see what they say, but one option might be to offer to "resign" (if you can afford it) and focus on fixing this once and for all.   When you know for sure it's over, you'll let them know and then they'd rehire you as soon as they could.  I don't even know if this is an option with your condition, but clearly you're a good employee and they like you.  They wouldn't be talking about a manager job if they didn't.  If this would reduce stress and could get it taken care of, it might be worth it if the convo is going in a direction where you want to turn it around. 

it's possible but a lot of absences aren't going to help you.

Yes, all of those absences could ruin your chances.  Further, don't expect any more pay without a business degree.  IF they promote you to manager (fat chance of that), it will be a glorified title only.  Don't set your hope too high.  At best, you might make assistant manager, which would also be a glorified title.  More work, more responsibility, same pay rate.  If you want to be a real manager, you are going to need management training, a degree, to make you management material.

• You would have to have a chat with your boss, and see if there's any chance you could still become a manager.  You're doing the right thing but you should really try to clear up your health issues, and attendance record as much as possible. They do need reliable people for managerial positions, managers have to be there for their staff. I haven't worked for a manager, that calls off as much as you have. They only take time off when they have a day off or book time off. There's also a lot more responsibilities with a managerial position, it's not just about telling people what to do. 

You will be lucky to have a job being off so often and certainly not manager material. They might train you to management level if you stop taking time off work but in the end they wont give you managers job. You have only been there 4 months and had 5 days off work, think about it if you were the employer would you employ you as a manager. I have worked for over 40 years and have had 6 days off work and that was when dad died.

• Judy

You not only wlll not be promoted, but are not likely to keep your job at all.

Good employees do not call in repeatedly. With or without Drs notes.

• Tasm

Work there long enough and you will be

manager. Most people who work in fast food do not stay. Learn as many of the areas as you can and you are sure to get promoted to manager.

Whatever you do don't tell us where you work.  Why on earth would we need useful information like that?  Managers need to be smart kid, I'd suggest you're never getting off the fryer.

• alyssa1 month agoReport

how is that useful at all. it’s fast food mark calm down