Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

What is everything I must know for feeding a wild baby bird? Please read description?

I am taking care of a wild baby bird I found on the ground in my neighbourhood a few hours ago. I’ve been feeding him a mushy mixture of crushed crackers and raw egg. How frequently must I feed him? Can he sleep the whole night without being fed, or should I wake up every few hours to feed him?

Don't feed it anything. Put it back where you found it, immediately, before you kill it by feeding it stuff it wouldn't normally eat. Finding baby birds on the ground at this time of year is totally normal. They spend a day or two or so on the ground after they leave the nest and before they learn to fly. The parent birds are around watching the chicks during this time. Yes, it's true that a few of these baby birds don't make it through that time on the ground. That also is totally normal.

it has feathers.. so a fledgling rather than a hatchling.     And it's out of it's nest already.

Okay, let me set your expectations... many birds die no matter how good you care for them.    In the wild, it is estimated  one in every three birds might live.  In suburbs where there are feral cats...don't count on many surviving.

That has been said...  yours looks like a wren  or could be a starling.

There are two things I've had success with

Kitten Kibbles... dried cat food

The trick is... I use a blender and reduce to a powder.  Then add some distilled water until there is a mixture like ice cream.  Add a little more water.

What happens... the kibbles continue to absorb water and will harden after a few hours so you need to just add enough water to keep it the consistency of melted ice cream...

I let mine stand overnight to let it finish absorbing  as much water as it can.

I feed the fledglings using a popsicle stick or a small piece of a twig with one end

flattened into a  small shovel ( hammers work great)    Take a small piece of the gooey mess,  you'll lose some of it... and the bird should open up.I have a sparrow... it sucks this stuff down... also a cardinal who wants me to spoon fit it.Some birds will eat themselves to death... so you have to see when they slow down and their  ' crop'   (the bulge on their neck'  starts to enlarge.   Stop feeding them at that point.Fledglings feeding schedule  .. 1st week about every 15 minutes.  2nd week  30 minutes...3rd week about every hour to two hours.   Mine always let me know when they were hungry. By week 3  the starling was eating off the ground...I could put a plate of food there and some mealworms.   The cardinal still needed to be hand fed.

Also... canned cat food.... get the soft kind... NO GRAVY... but some cans say PATE.Put small chunks on the popsicle stick and see if he eats it.     

At a certain point  they will start to eat off the ground...  One way to test this is to get

some LIVE mealworms and put them on a dish.   when the bird is ready, the movement of the worms will attract their attention.They don't need water at this point... the water in the food is enough to keep them hydrated... also watch their droppings...when the droppings are liquid, it means they

are getting enough fluid.

After you feel comfortable on the abovediet... try some small bird seed.. placed on the bottom of the cage.He should be testing his wings at this point, but it might be another 2 - 3 weeks before he can fly any distance..It might take several more weeks to rehabilitate him to the wild.   I put a perch by the front door for mine to sit on... and they usually fly to the trees and return to the perch when hungry... this could go on for a month or so,   but usually they get acclimated to being

outdoors....and eventually go out on their own.I raised a cardinal, couple of years back....  let her go.....   she came back in two years

and actually responded to her name...   Cardinals stay local  and birds do have a memory... they attach themselves to people...Hope this helps...    not all birds are alike...

Look around the place you found it until you find a bird nest, then put the baby bird back into the nest.

Most times, if you find a baby bird on the ground, it's fallen out of its nest. Parents can't return the bird to the nest themselves, so you'll have to do that yourself. Look in bushes and trees, if the bird is unhurt it can't have fallen far, so you don't have to climb to the tips of trees to look for nests. It was a good intention to take the bird home, but it will be much, much better if you can return it to the nest. 

Wild baby birds are fed insects and spiders by their parents. Insects are high protein and it is needed by the young bird. Raw eggs may have salmonella so it is not recommended even though it is high protein. Birds do not hunt at night so it is okay if you do not fee them at night. They do need to be kept warm however because at this young age they do not generate internal body heat to stay warm.

It looks like a chick just after it leaves the nest.

The feathers are aligned, but the beak is still a chick.

All you need to do is to keep that chick warm immediately first. What the hell is that piece of paper?

Immediately after leaving the nest, chicks usually don't need as much warmth as newborns, but they still need to be kept warm.

The chick will not be kept warm with a piece of notebook, so please wrap them in a warm cloth.

Next, return the chick to the perimeter where you picked it up when dawn comes.

The parents of the chick are desperately looking for it.

They will be looking for a couple of days.

If you feel it's dangerous to leave it on the ground, put the chicks in a box or in a bush or in a tree as high up as possible.

If you don't know how to do this, please contact Animal control.

Chicks just after leaving the nest are still not good at flying. So some chicks may stay on the ground for a while. But it's in the middle of the practice of flying.

When someone picks up such chicks and takes them back to their own home, it is called kidnapping.

You may have picked it up by telling yourself that this is a good thing.

However, you should ponder.

You don't know what kind of bird that chick is.

You don't know how to feed that chick properly, or how to take care of the chick's needs.

Above all, you can't bestow the wisdom of living in the wild on the chick.

Chicks have a lot to learn from their parents after they leave the nest.

This is impossible for a human being.

If you want to be a good person who understands the responsibility ,

Make an effort to return the chick to its parents.

STOP FEEDING THE BIRD ! Get off the computer and call the Fish and Wildlife department in your state. Stop being stupid. 

i would call animal control, they might be able to help you with that