Father in his 70's wants to return to work next week taking public transit despite risks of COVID-19 to seniors.?

My dad is 74 and wants to return to work next week. He has to take public transit for 40 mins to get to and from work. I've warned him of the risks but he insists that he wants to return to work in order to pay his bills. He is currently receiving the emergency relief funds from the government but says that this is not enough. What other options can I find for him to potentially work from home? Failing that, aside from the obvious what can he do to reduce his risk of exposure to the virus if he must take public transit to work each day?

He's very stubborn and won't listen to reason when his mind is set on something.

In view of the weakened auto-immune system, it is not advisable at all. He can catch infection very soon. He should,it at all it is necessary to go, go in a private vehicle alone.

There's no easy way to say this, so I'll say it as bluntly as possible. Boomers are oblivious to covid-19, they don't care AT ALL, and nothing you can do will make them listen to reason.

---

My dad doesn't care either. He refuses to wash his hands, scratches his eyes, and puts on a mask AS he's walking into the house to fool us into thinking he's been wearing it the whole time. There is NOTHING YOU CAN DO. It's the boomer mentality not to care.

• Edna

Emergency relief funds from the government are a one-time deal. He gets ONE stimulus check from the government, and that's all. Your dad is correct. He has to go back to work in order to pay his bills. There are no "emergency relief funds" for people of his age. I'm 78, and all I got was one-time stimulus money.

Your dad might not be doing the kind of work that can be done from home. What if he's a factory worker?  He can't do that kind of work and potentially work from home.

Why can't your dad drive his own car to and from work, instead of taking public transportation? OR, if you're so afraid he might contract a corona virus if he has to use public transportation, why don't YOU drive him to and from work?

the public transport have alternate seats

vacant marked by a cross

tell him to wear a mask and disposable

gloves

he will be fine

my prayers are for his good health

and long life !!

There really isn't anything you can do if he won't listen to reason. He wants to be in charge of his own life, pay his own bills and get out in the world again. You can provide him with washable masks (plural) and gloves to wear on public transport and on the job (depending on what he does), but you can't live his life for him. It's sad that he has to risk his life to go to work, but that's the way it is.

• Ben

Good for him. You have nothing to do with his choices.

I understand your Dad's reason to return to work and your worry about the dangers of traveling during spread of CONVID-19. If your Dad is not wearing a mask and disposable gloves, try to convince him to use these aids to keep himself safe. I think public transportation is dangerous by any means.

Good Luck.

harrald

Only a risk IF he has another condition affecting his health, beyond age.

• theedge23432 months agoReport

He has increased risk of stroke due to 70% and 90% blockage of left and right Carotid artery. Also suffers from sleep apnea and extremely poor decision making skills as you can see

maybe you can offer him rides to work

• JB1 month agoReport

Flu shot didn't help my wife and I, We are in our 60's, isolated like crazy, wiped down everything delivered and still caught it. HELL MONTH. Figure out a way to get him more help so he doesn't have to use public transpotration.

• patty

the viris is a big risk to seniors. he is best at home till the worst is over

• Edna

Big risk or not -- seniors still have to pay their bills.