Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I press criminal charges on these parents who hurt my child?

I let my kid go to sleepover, I told the parent that my family is VEGAN so no animal product and I packed my son his own breakfast/lunch/Dinner for the weekend. When I pick him up in the morning I see that they have pizza boxes in their trash when I pull up. I did ask them if my kid had pizza, they said no he didn t. I didn t believe them whatsoever I got my son in the car and asked his and yelled at him to tell the truth. He started crying and said he ate Non-vegan all weekend. I was Livid. I sent the voice messages tell them off and saying I was pressing charges. My son s father said I was being irrational. I am not. They harmed him. My Fiance says I should rethink the criminal aspect of it, and if it did go through they could those their kid I DO NOT CARE. THEY COULD HAVE KILLED MY BABY. Am I being irrational?? This happened a month ago and I m thinking of driving down to the police station next week.

• car253

Sounds like criminal charges should be filed against you.   You are forcing your kid to get what they may not want to eat.   And, you are stressing out your kid way beyond belief.   Huge mistake.  You will regret putting your kid through all that stress later on.

• car253

You have a kid and you are not married.   That maybe considered abuse too.

• Jane

How about you, your fiancee and your son have a calm and open conversation about how to manage his social life? I don't know how old your son is, whether he is still young enough that you can control his food when he is not with you. How much does he understand about veganism, and what are his views at his age?.Remember that social pressures on children of all ages, to fit in, to not seem rude by refusing food from other kid's parents etc are pretty tough for him to handle. Perhaps you could help him to develop some strategies for these situations, rather than showing him that you yell and behave in a way that scares him and makes him cry.As he gets older, you will be less and less in control of what he thinks and does, all you can do (as any parent) is to share your views, explain why you think they are important in life, be prepared to be challenged, help him to be the best person he can be.

• L

LISTEN to your son's father!!!!!!!  Eating non-vegan does NOT kill anyone and did NOT hurt your son.  Your son should NOT be forced into, eating vegan, if he doesn't want to.  He can only make this decision when he's an adult.

I guess you could go into a police station but those parents did NOT break any laws.

You're being crazy unless if your kid is allergic to pizza the judge is seriously gonna laugh at you. I think it's wrong that they didn't respect your wishes regarding your child i don't disagree with that but you need to calm down and yelling at your child until they tell you the truth isn't okay. It's gonna make him not wanna tell you things because then in his mind he's gonna think well my moms gonna yell at me if i tell her the truth. Also him eating non vegan food will not kill him you're definitely over reacting when you say that.

You would not have a criminal court case and no lawyer would take a civil case like that unless you have something in writing.  And one could argue that they were trying to help your child.  Vegan food is highly processed and lacking in many ways.  Now if your child was diabetic and they knew about it and fed him sugar, that's a different story. 

Personally I don't let me child spend the night at anyone's house where the is no landline.  I feel that's much more dangerous than eating non-vegan food.  I need to confident that my son could pick up a phone and call 911 without the fear of the battery being dead or wasting time to unlock the phone and then providing a physical address.

You should have sent food specifically for your child.  Or maybe let him only sleep in vegan households.  Being religious, we would never let our child spend the night in an atheist or non-Christian house hold.  You should think about that.  I am sure there are other vegan parents out there. 

• car253

Plenty of people still have landlines.  It is insurance in case of a disaster like an earthquake.  Then all the cell phone towers will be down.   Good idea to always keep a landline.

There isn't a court in the universe who would consider allowing your child to have a slice of pizza was abusive in any way. If any one is being abusive it's you--for yelling at your kid until he "confessed".  A slice or two of pizza is not "killing" your "baby."  

Are you being irrational? Absolutely YES. Back off. You can be vegan if you want to--no one gives a hoot about that. But blowing up like a volcano because your child got to eat differently?  That's not merely irrational--it's pandemic-level crazy. 

Why in the name of hell would you press charges? They didn’t force feed him...

You need some psychotic medication. You are incredibly irrational, no doubt about it.

First of all, YOU do not press charges, the police do when a crime has been committed. No crime here. Bringing your poor kid to tears because he wanted to be part of the party and eat pizza rather than be out casted with your bagged food is irrational.

Also, here he is a month later, unharmed by pizza, and still alive. So, no damages were even incurred.

If you wish to make a complete and total fool of yourself, go ahead and March your irrational self down to the police station. I am sure the men in blue need a good laugh right about now.

• Eva

Get a grip. Just because you believe in the vegan lifestyle doesn't mean everyone does. Since this happened a month ago, obviously there was no harm to your child and your assertion that they could have killed him is laughable. The police don't want to talk to you and CPS doesn't either. Your son had a choice of food and obviously wanted to eat the same things the other kids did.

• SomeGuy092 months agoReport

Sounds like even the kid doesn't want to be Vegan. You can't force people to do it. 

Is there a medical reason for his veganism or your preference? Unless your child has a condition in which he is physically unable to process animal products and you passed this information to the people caring for him and they willingly and knowingly gave him animal products with the intent of causing harm... you have no basis to call the police. It has also been a month, sure I think you are well within time frame for reporting actual abuse, however, your behaviors toward your child are by far more abusive than those you wish to report. It sucks your friends didn't respect your wishes regarding foods you don't want your child eating, it sucks they lied to you about it, it sucks your child is in the middle of this. They didn't harm him, they didn't attempt to harm him, he has no life-threatening allergy to the foods he consumed. Disrespectful? Yup, but criminal? Nope.