Car dealer rip off ?

So say someone has a used car and know there is a problem with it and take it to a car dealership that is gonna trade it in and with them

Not know the problem and they take it and later find out the problem? Will something happen to me 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Nope. I worked at a new car dealership as a service tech for about 10 years, Here's how it works. Once you get an offer, that's on them. They take the car, and send it into the shop, a tech ( like me ) will look the car over head to toe, we'll tell the used car dept what the car needs. They take that cost, and do some math, if the cost of service and repairs are still under their bottom line and they think they can make a profit off it, they will tell the tech ( me ) to do the work. If they do the numbers and the cost of repair exceeds their bottom line, then they decline any work and just send the car to the auction. The dealerships have been doing this a long time. They aren't worried about your car's problems. They just want to talk numbers. That's all they care about. They will give you a piss-poor low ball offer on the car anyway. So i wouldn't worry about it.  This is also why you should never buy a car from one of those "Used car auto wholesale" lots. Most wholesellers, buy the cars they sell, at these same auctions. So.... as a person who has worked at a dealership. My advise is, never buy a used car from a wholesale lot. You're playing with fire there.  But as far as trading in a car with a problem I wouldn't worry about that. These dealerships A.K.A. "Stealerships". have contingencies for that sort of thing. 

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yeah; Everybody is honest and a Mechanic(only in your fantasy world)

You take in your Perfect Car and want to trade it in for another car.No reason,U just want to lose money & get another car.The Logic=NONE

" Right off the bat the dealer figures with problems and LOW balls you on its value. Ups the value of the car he is selling (to double compensate for it and make an income). This is how it works.  

. Maybe what you see as a problem is not a problem but is with every car of that make.  That is "that" car.  Maybe the next person to buy it will take it as it is as they know of its shortcomings.  VW Beetles(the old slug bug) takes 16 seconds to do the 1/4 mile. That is normal. Heater works great in the summer and A/C works great in the winter. All normal.

Will something happen to you? You will be poorer and trade down from it. 

. You will get new issues that COME WITH THE CAR.  You traded one problem for another...and PAID FOR IT.   Live & learn.

• 5 months ago

Nothing will happen to you. A trade-in is inspected and repaired by a car dealership. That's what it IS. That's what they DO. They know full well what they are getting in trade for a new vehicle. 

It's one of the reasons dealerships don't like to take trade-ins. But if they did, be grateful. At least they took it. You aren't liable for anything they find wrong with it. 

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Not unless you failed to disclose a salvage title. They are big boys. Besides, they don't pay much for trades.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

No...it's up to the dealer to inspect your vehicle and make a trade in offer.

Best time o get the most money for your car is the last Friday of the month at 5:30pm. The mechanics have all gone home and the sales people all want to get one last sale put on their commission check that comes out the first week of the month.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Their goons will show up some night and beat the crap out of you.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Car dealerships are equipped to fix most any thing.

• 5 months ago

No. Dealers expect and look for the worst when they take in trades. Not too many people trade in perfectly good vehicles.

• 5 months ago

The dealer will inspect the car and test drive it before they make a final offer on trade value. If your car needs repair they will deduct the cost of the repair from what they offer you. If the car needs more work than its worth they might only give you the scrap value as a trade credit and they'll send the car to a wholesaler's auction.

• DON W
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

This is why dealers, when considering a trade in, do a very careful check on the car.  They will also access any online service records for the car.  While you are negotiating with the dealer, they will take the car out for a drive.  In short, it's difficult to pull one over on them.  What they offer you for the car will take any problems they find into consideration.

If they do miss a problem, it is unlikely they will come after you, as they have purchased the car "as is".  They may decide just to junk the car, or to sell it to a wholesaler.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.