Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

shouldn’t every household be forced to adopt a dog?

If everybody had a dog, it would save them from euthanasia. So why isn’t there a law? Gnome Sayin?

Why isn't there a birth control law so morons like you won't inhabit the earth?

• "shouldn’t every household be forced to adopt a dog?"

Learn to display YOUR self-chosen avatar & username - NOT be a coward or troll who hides them.

Learn to PUNCTUATE, with every sentence starting with a capital letter.

My answer to your "every household" question is:

NO WAY❗️ I reject about half my puppy seekers during their first phone call.

Some people KNOW that their household or income or personality or property or work-schedule is NOT SUITABLE for having a pooch. Good on them. Later in life their situation MIGHT be suitable. Meantime, they have had the SENSE to know their limitations. I'm not going to guess at what fraction of the population they are - it's probably very small.

As I said - half my enquirers do NOT pass such minimum requirements as:

🐕1: A back door that opens straight into a well-fenced back yard

🐩2: Family members sensible enough to NOT open the front door while the pooch is free to dash out the door.

In very early 1984 L. Kanto Kurier was sold to a family with SUPERB back fences reaching the 6 foot limit. Their front fence was concrete - but only about 2 feet high, so some territorial training would be necessary. But when I called back about 3 weeks later to check on his progress and answer any queries that had occurred to the family, he was already dead. A child had answered the front door when a stranger knocked, Kanto had raced out throughthe gap, out the street gate that the visitor hadn't shut, and was killed by the traffic on the main street through that city. CHILDREN NEED TRAINING❗️

🦮3: An income that can cope with both feeding and medical treatments for household & pet.

🐕‍🦺4: The buyer is able to take at least 2 weeks holiday starting the day the pooch is brought home, so that the owner can WATCH poochy 24/7 while it is awake, to (a) help it settle in & like its new human, and (b) so the human can learn the pooch's signal and timings for"Wanna go toilet" and so do the necessary things to house-train aka toilet-train the pooch.

🐕5: Has household routines so that a pup will never be "home alone" for more than 4 hours and, as an adult, never more than 9, maybe 10, hours.

🐩6: The buyer has time, transport & willingness to take their pet to the vet and to weekly training classes (where the HUMAN gets observed and COACHED) for at least a year.

🦮7:The adults have more intelligence than the breed. The best Border Collies, Poodles, German Shepherd Dogs have intelligence equivalent to a 3 years old human. Sadly,many adult humans DON'T! So the most intelligent 20 breeds routinely out-wit most owners.

• "If everybody had a dog, it would save them from euthanasia."

I hope you don't consider English your best language.

In that sentence, the subject is "everybody", so the pronoun "them" stands for "everybody". Not many people need to be saved from euthanasia!

In that context, the pronoun "it" stands for "dog". A dog can often save its human from outsider violence, but I don't know how the dog can save its human from being euthanased.

Your idea would result in MANY dogs having a fate FAR crueller (= worse❗️) than euthanasia.

https://aldf.org/article/top-5-prosecuted-animal-r...

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/animal-cru...

There are many other sites you can find for yourself, but those 2 - one from the USA, one from the UK - should start you off on realising that NOT ALL ANIMAL OWNERS are humane, kindly, "nice", sensible.

YOUR idea would definitely make the situation even WORSE for dogs.

• "So why isn’t there a law? Gnome Sayin?"

There are BILLIONS of laws!  But you haven't finished your sentence.

I can guess your next word - it has to be the word "against" or "banning". But after that there are so MANY possibilities! I'll give one:

♦ "So why isn’t there a law against cruelty to animals?"

There ARE such laws. At least one of the links I gave you answers that they are rarely ENFORCEABLE, for reasons such as 🔹1: the cost of watching farms and private homes to get EVIDENCE is so high and is left almost entirely to charity organisations, and 🔹2: magistrates & judges almost never declare a really EFFECTIVE penalty, even when they do convict an offender.

If your name is "Gnome Sayin", it is a VERY 🤯 unusual one!

👹 So what the hell do those 2 words (actually, 1.83 words) have to do with your question?

You now have 16 answers - some are very good.

Any more will make it harder for you to decide which one is the BEST (although Verizon > Oath stupidly renamed it "Favorite Answer") and most helpful answer. Remember that not only does the writer of the BEST/Favorite Answer get encouraged by receiving some bonus points, but you yourself get refunded 3 of the 5 points it cost you to ask the question.

So DO make your choice very soon.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Look at it this way - not everyone can actually afford to feed themselves let a lone a dog, so people shouldn't be pressured into adopting a pet. it's a bit ignorant if you thing that forceful adoption of pets should be legalised; what if some poor innocent animal falls in the hands of a violent and abusive person?

no they would fall into the hands of abusers

No. I work in rescue.  I see the abused and neglected dogs.  Your idea is preposterous and childish.

No.

In my area, most of the dogs available are pit mixes..  Absolutly nothing that would fit my household or lifestyle.   I tried to find a crested in rescue before buying mine and had very little luck.

No, there should NEVER be a law mandating this! So many poor dogs would end up in the hands of abusers, neglecters, people who use dogs for illegal dogfighting, etc. or who just can't afford to have a dog. People need to spay/neuter their pets and that will solve the overpopulation problem. A law like this would be the stupidest thing ever, and it would NOT benefit the dogs AT ALL!

Source(s): My common sense!

What about the people who don't like animal at all? The poor dog would be neglected & abused. It is a home but it is not a good home. Dog would suffer & suffer & suffer because the owner does not like animals of any kind.

What about a 71 yr old female who has a hard time taking care of herself?

What about the people who live in big city high rises with no back door for the dog.

It just wouldn't work. Most all of the dogs would be neglected & abused.

• A

If states had spay/neuter laws and made it affordable for people we would eliminate a lot of feral and strays that do not have homes and die from disease, car accidents or are shot.  People who do not have time or money for proper vet care should not have dogs.  

That’s not practical, some people can’t care for an animal.  People need to spay and neuter their pets.