Janel asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 months ago

Can a credit lender legally provide your account information to a reference?

My credit lender has recently been sending some account information to some of my references. Examples are when I’m late on a payment they send them a text that I’m late on a payment including the amount I own. I have asked them to stop sending them specific information and they tell me that it’ll be taken care of but it’s happened for about 9 months twice a month. They also send confirmation texts and emails when I have made a payment. Also one time I was 3 days late and they had called my mom harassing and telling her that if I didn’t pay they were going to start sending her the bill. I just don’t feel like this is right. I understand why lenders use references but I feel like they are abusing it. Please help. 

All those fine prints in credit agreements and notes. Who knows whatever you've agreed to. If you'll clearly tell they're doing something you didn't legally comply with I say you sue them. Ask them to supply any paper or documents signed by you that allow them to try to to that.

All those fine prints in credit agreements and notes.  Who knows whatever you've agreed to.  If you can clearly tell they're doing something you didn't legally agree to I say you sue them. Ask them to provide any paper or documents signed by you that allow them to do that.

If this was actually a debt collector making the calls (not the original creditor) I would say no, they can't do that. But original creditor, the fair debt collection practices act wouldn't apply to a company collecting its own debt. You could google consumer protection attorneys and email your scenario to one of them to be sure, or try to google the law yourself. Your state may have some restrictions on what an original creditor can do with sharing your information to people other than you or your attorney.

Sounds like BS to me.  They can call looking for you. Not sharing account information. Your references can probably guess why.

If the person is a co-signer on the account, yes.  If not no.

• Scott

Pay your obligations on time and this problem will go away.

Sounds more like they are a co-signor.  Your late payments have the potential to affect their credit.

< Also one time I was 3 days late and they had called my mom harassing and telling her that if I didn’t pay they were going to start sending her the bill. >

If your Mom isn't on the loan she should have told them 'not my circus, not my monkeys'.

We don't know what you agreed to.

Read your contract.

• A

Pay your bills on time and it will end. When you borrow money they ask for references so they can get contact information on you when you don't pay on time. If you are late for payments twice a month for 9 months, you can expect this to continue

unless they are cosigners legally they cant do that.

if they are cosigners to your loan then you are SOL but unsolicited/unwanted automatic calls/texts are illegal so there is that.