Darcie
Darcie asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

I have mental health issues. I have found a great therapist, but my mum is put off by the expense. How can I persuade her to let me try it?

Hello 👋,

I have Autism, anxiety and (undiagnosed) binge eating disorder. We have been trying to get me therapy for ages and ages. We have tried the NHS, and my doctor put us in touch with a dietician, whom we haven’t been able to see lately due to COVID-19 and lockdown.

I have found a great therapist who could be very well-suited to me via Psychology Today. She is young, female, vegan-allied and covers Autism, Aspergers, anxiety and eating disorders. The only trouble is, it’s £95 a session and my mum thinks I can’t afford that. How can I persuade her to let me give it a try?

Please note that we are in the UK, so not everything available in the USA will be applicable here...

Thank you 😊.

Best Wishes to all,

Rory.

Have the best day and night ever!

I noticed you said your mum thought you couldn't afford it, so is it you or her that's going to have to pay for it? Also, you could opt for just one session a month if she feels it's too expensive, plus you'd need to see her 1st as not all Therapist are a fit for everyone despite you being enticed by her youth. 

find someone cheaper or only see the one u like once a month. U cold get a part time job to pay

I thought that you folks had a National Health program that paid for your healthcare?  Why isn't this appropriate psychologist covered under it?

You don't say how old you are or why you need your Mom's approval to follow through on your own medical needs, but if you can afford the 95, then I would try this new psychologist.  If you cannot afford this, I would explain this to her and perhaps she can limit your sessions or give you a discount.

Remember that everything is negotiable and perhaps she could offer you a plan....but if you don't try, you will never know if her therapy could lead to good health.

• Slug

Having autism would mean that you are classed as having a learning difficulty not a learning disability especially if you are as high functioning as you seem to be and this would place you in the general mental health sector , Have you spoke to your local mental health team and asked about the things that are on offer to you via the NHS? Secondary services can offer psychiatry appointments. There are many different kinds of therapy that you could engage in via the NHS and at no extra cost to yourself or your mother. The important thing to remember is that a lot of the psychiatric doctors you see also engage in private work so the quality of your care will not differ simply the amount of sessions and regularity of sessions you will have with them. Unfortunately your mother is being realistic in the cost of these sessions and the fact for example if you wanted one once a week that would be £380 per month, some individuals pay that amount on rent a month and struggle to make ends meet. I feel it would be advisable for you to talk to your own mental health team and talk about the options open to you on the NHS.

It's likely your mum is worried that you simply can't afford it, it's a huge amount of money. If you do have a well paid job then it's not up to her but if you're actually expecting her to pay then it is. You also can't tell if a therapist is good or not just by going by their sales pitch. More importantly, what are her qualifications and experience and have you read any reviews. A young therapist isn't going to be experienced and it sounds as if she's trying to be an expert in too many fields. Have you tried self referring for free therapy through IAPT? I know how difficult it is to get appropriate NHS therapy as I've been trying for ages for my PTSD and I'm also autistic. My friend's trauma therapist charges £60 a session and unless you're in central London £95 is too much especially for someone with limited experience.

• LAN

Get a job and pay for it yourself.

Show your mother her accomplishments, education, personal success, success with other clients and how long it takes approximately to get from point A to point B assuming you stick religiously with her method. 

What is your end goal with this therapy?

Does she provide the tools you can return to after the initial therapy program is over?

Imo if the therapist doesn't provide the tools where you can see what to do /when or if, the money on these sessions is waste of time because most people simply forget what they were suppose to do and/or don't know where or to who to turn to.

• Tavy

That is a lot of money Rory, who is going to pay for it.?

UK