is 24 too old to become a female pop star? ?

I have been singing/songwriting for 8 years, I used to upload videos to youtube of covers and original music I had maybe 50 or so fans but only 10 or so really interacted. I also had my music play on a few internet radio stations and one or two article written about me. But I stop for two years because of life stuff now I am 24 and feel like I have wasted my life and my chance.

• 1 week ago

No not at all! People like Ava Max and Lizzo got their break when they were older than teenagers and they are still doing very well, you can do that too! The best thing you could probably do is go to a talent show like the X factor or the voice or __ got talent and give it your all, you can look up online to see if they are holding auditions and there might be forms online to apply. 

Try contacting some record labels like Republic Records and Atlantic records. Send them links to your videos. You may not hear back, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

No, lizzo was 30 when she broke out as a huge star and she not your typical star like these other pop artists. If one person can do it, then so can many others. Whoever thinks 24 is old is insane, record labels do usually look for 16yr olds but they have no creative control or say over much and they career doesn't last past age 30. Madonna was 24 when her first single was release and was 26 when like a virgin was released which became a smash hit. the music industry as well as the film industry need more mature artist it is very ageist and sexist in my opinion. 

Not gonna lie, you're right about at the end of your career as an emerging pop star.  The industry has rules about that stuff, and rule #1 is they want young and cute.  Young and cute is what sells in kiddie-pop, and you're well past puberty.

But there's some good news:  You've still got rock & roll, jazz, blues and country.  Those audiences are far less concerned with your age.

If you really feel empowered and are practicing everyday, there is no reason why you cannot actively pursue a musical career (keeping in mind realistic aspirations vs. fantasy).  Consider updating your skills as well (you can learn new vocal tricks to make your voice better).  To that end, I suggest looking at some Cheryl Porter vocal training videos on You Tube.  She has a re-training series that is VERY entertaining and useful (at least it was for me).  If you are talented, there are always things you can do with your vocal skills to make $$ while you are resurrecting your career (including voice overs, singing background for other artists, recording audio books, working on radio shows, etc).   I hope you decide to go forward.  Good luck.

You're old enough to know there is no age limit on pursuing a musical career.

There are 7 billion people in the world. Roughly half of them have some sort of experience with music. If we say 2% of them are actually decent then we're left with 70 MILLION people.

That is the population of Britain and Ireland, every single one of whom are actually pretty good at music.How many pop stars are there? At a generous guess I'll say 20 thousand. So, if it's a random chance you're a decent musician and then become famous you've got a 1 in 3500 chance - or 0.03%.

Of course it's not COMPLETELY random that you become famous, but luck has an awful lot to do with it - talent isn't super important. There are an aaaaawful lot of singer-songwriters out there, but only room for a couple of Ed Sheeran types.

So have you "wasted your life"? If so you're in pretty good company - along with 99.97% of the other musicians out there who haven't become pop stars. If music makes you happy then do it for that reason. Plenty of people - the VAST majority of musicians - never make any real money from it, and the vast majority of professional musicians will never be famous.

If you enjoyed what you were doing, that wasn't a waste of time.

Success in literature or the performing arts depends upon many things. You can't get anywhere without talent and hard work, but timing and luck are also important. An agent increases your chances of being in the right place at the right time, but luck is completely unpredictable. It's a truism that the world is filled with talented, unsuccessful people.

Have you entered any contests? Do you have an agent? As for agents, be careful - there are lazy *** agents who do almost nothing but do enough to avoid legal penalties.

No. For example, Cindi Lauper was in her thirties.

No, you're OK, you're not "too old" for anything. Look, just focus on doing the music that you want to do. Success, especially in the music world, is an elusive thing that is often denied to artists that really deserve to be heard. So focus on bringing out of yourself the best that you have, and putting it out there. What will come of it, who knows, but you should enjoy every moment of the journey.

Of course, being an artist in Coronavirus-world is an entirely new challenge. You may have to do something entirely different to pay the bills, but don't give up what you love. Do it because you love it, and because it's a world that you want to be a part of.

I understand the concern about age. I played in bands. At a certain age, you start to feel self-conscious about doing it, like you're an older person playing the games of younger people. It's sort of unfortunate, because nobody should feel held back from their musical expression at any time in their life.

Believe me, 24 is not an age to worry about. I was doing the rock band thing throughout my 20s and into my 30s. Eventually I had to get a steady paying job.

In my home town, there was a great 90s comedy rock band called TISM (which stood for "This is serious mum").

They had a song that was called "If you're not famous at fourteen, you're finished".

For real. Here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPCORZLgh4

Youtube thumbnail

I think the idea of that song was to mock the obsession with youth that the commercial entertainment industry had, and to some extent still has.

Great art will shine, and have its day.