Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

Are programmers who automate their work gleefully digging their own graves?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Most programmers install a secret "drop dead" or "back door" feature that lets them keep control of a creation.

• Quentin
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

They don't tell the boss it is automated. If the boss comes in and sees them playing games they explain it is a long compilation, they had to do a complete rebuild!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

This question betrays a really narrow-minded viewpoint.  If you can successfully automate at least part of your work, you free yourself up for other projects.  The more you can do in a reliable and repeatable manner, the more your boss will want to keep you around with the slackers who DON'T automate betray their lack of vision.  The programmers who automate their own work are NOT digging their OWN graves; they are digging the graves of those who can't prove why they are useful.  Like YOU, for asking such a low-intellect question.

I missed a shot at "best answer" but the right answer needed to be out here for others to see.  This question betrays a "zero growth potential" attitude.  I automated every part of my job that COULD be automated and that left me time to do things for the company that make me get annual pay raises on the high end of the scale.  It make the boss recommend me for commendations ("Employee of the year" type of thing.)  It led the boss to give me "cooperation" and "throughput" ratings of 5 out of 5.

You tell ME who got fire first... me, who had mostly automated my job, or the guys who did the same thing every day and never learned anything new.

• 1 month ago

So what happens when the automation runs into some technical or programming problems?! Who is there to fix it?!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They're freeing themselves up for more interesting work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Programmers were made obsolete when programmers invented Lotus 1-2-3.

• ...Show all comments
    • Quentin
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Assembly programmers were crying when Formula Translation automated everything (FORTRAN).

• 2 months ago

i would hope not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.