What do you think about Quentin Tarantino?

Let me ask you this question if Pulp Fiction had a cast of absolutely nobody actors, would you still care about the film?

That is Quentin Tarantino in a nutshell, his films only gain attraction from actor/actress names and practically every film is the same movie. Don't believe me?

- Kill Bill series: Vengeance movies built around stylized hyper-violence

- Inglorious Basterds: Vengeance movie built around stylized hyper-violence

- Django Unchained: Vengeance movie built around stylized hyper-violence

Any other director/actor/actress would get nailed for this but for some reason Tarantino earns praise. I don't get it, his films aren't even that well made excluding 2 [Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs] which once again became a name because of the actors/actresses more than the overall films.

Quentin Tarantino loves Samuel L. Jackson because he can turn goose **** into pop-culture gold [Snakes on a Plane anyone], so Tarantino doesn't even have to try he writes tripe and signs actors that can make folding paper for an hour into Oscar worthy performances.

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry but I find that Mr. Tarantino has no skill or talent.

Oh, he can shock you but so can a snuff film...that's not art.

We recently saw his "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" and since we are old enough to have lived through the Charles Manson-Sharon Tate Murders, I guess we were stunned when the movie went off course from the real events.  Even Manson didn't seem that threatening.  Squeaky Frome was more threatening than Manson....and Bruce Dern....I couldn't understand his part.

Sorry.

And for some reason, Tarantino gets the big shot all time Oscar winners to work for him:  Pacino, Dern, Dicaprio and Pitt are all Oscar winners with nothing more to prove.  Yet, they gladly work for him.

• Kevin1 month agoReport

He wasnt suppose to imitate what actually happened, but an alternative if the Manson murderers were fought back and taken care of. Its supposed to be almost like fairy tale, in case the "once upon a time" doesnt convince you

Very little........

All he does is throw up a bunch of extremes... graphic stuff to get a movie to be watched... 

Although that's very sellout it's also the reason why a person makes movies... to make money. 

• patty

i saw a bit of kiil bill. I did see his latest movie with brad pitt and i liked it. I think he is a throwback to the 1970's movies

Some good movies, some average and some really boring ones.

Some lines of Pulp Fiction were really good, but overall it was okay. Otherwise the shock moments nobody expected and the good actors played a huge role.

But I dislike the hyper-violence as well.

However, I like Django Unchained and strongly dislike Reservoir dogs, especially the lines and the plot.

>> "Let me ask you this question if Pulp Fiction had a cast of absolutely nobody actors, would you still care about the film?"

Yes. It's not the actor, it's the performance. Don't believe me? Watch "Runaway Train" from 1985.

one of the best directors of all time 

Yes I would.

He makes you want to go to the movie theater. Often twice. Seeing the "The Hateful Eight" in 70mm was an event. Tarantino uses the entire widescreen format, you’re looking for things that you missed on first view. Lots of stories and complex characters. 

Also I got curious on the films and filmmakers that influenced Tarantino. Many older movies I didn’t know about.

Hitchcock also only used famous actors in his movies like James Stewart (he stars in like 5 hithcock movies, quite like samuel l jackson for tarantino), Cary Grant, Janet Leigh, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, etc. Nowadays not much people even remembers those actors but hitchcock's movies are timeless and still regarded as some of the finest ever made. I don't think it'll be the same for Tarantino (aside from Pulp Fiction) but he does write great, entertaining movies that people like, so he will definetly be remembered. 

Saying that Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are vengeance movies built around stylized hyper-violence is very shallow. You could say that Vertigo, North By Northwest and Notorious are romantic crime movies built with stylized suspense, but there are more to the movies than just that. Movies can have a similar structure but still be very different.

Well he does write great dialogue. Lots of great individual scenes in his movies, whatever you might think of the overall storylines. The reason he's always been able to get those top actors is because his scripts are such great vehicles for them. Plus he's responsible for resuscitating quite a few dead careers, and I'd say even Jackson owes his career at least as much to Tarantino as the other way around.

And regarding plot similarities, those really tend to be limited to the hyper-violent endings he slaps on otherwise pretty different movies. Take away those endings and how many similarities are there really between, oh, The Hateful Eight and Inglorious Bastards, to pick two fairly random examples?

• Lilly

Well I do agree he's overrated to some degree. However I don't agree that Pulp would be nothing without the known actors. Pulp is a well respected screenplay and if you look at films before it, the dialogue really is very fresh. It is a very well written film. I don't think he's had a another film even nearly as good though ever since. I do like some of his stuff, but I do agree he's not as good as many claim. I think you're over simplifying though.

• Lilly

Whoops, Kirsten Dunst.
      I still like new movies too. I didn't think the new Tarantino was that good though. Just decent.