Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 months ago

Anyone else hate cooking with fresh bell peppers because of all of the seeds you have to pick out the pepper. I would rather just buy frozen?

If you like them frozen so be it. I happen to love the fresher taste of unfrozen peppers. That's just me--whatever YOU like is fine. 

• denise

Frozen ones are ideal for adding to stir fries, casseroles, pasta dishes e.t.c.

But I don't mind preparing a fresh one for a salad or my pepper & goats cheese quiche.

No. I find cleaning out a capsicum (bell pepper) is incredibly straightforward and simple.

• Mark

That's nice, but "seeding and removing the membranes" is VERY fast and simple, you just cut a pepper oven, and pull out the membranes.  The seeds unusual come along, and for the seed that stay, if you fill the hollow pepper out with water, rub your hands around a bit inside, the remaining seeds will come out.

• kswck2

Frozen peppers are just nasty and soggy. It takes about 15 seconds to remove the seeds in peppers.

Sorry, I'm not in your camp. I cut off the top and bottom, and slit the side so it can lay flat. I use a chef's knife to remove the pith and seeds so I have a length of bell pepper. The top gets it's seeds and pith removed and sliced, and the bottom is cut to match the main pepper. Often I cut strips of pepper from the body, but sometimes cut them in half to make smaller pieces. Not a lot of hassel, and adds great flavor.

You must be cutting them wrong if you keep having to pick a lot of seeds out. Google 'how to cut a bell pepper'.

i would just buy frozen if you hate that

I simply cut out the stem and most of the seeds come out with it. Then I slice the pepper in half and what few seeds remain are easily flushed out in seconds under the tap, in cold water. Takes less than a minute.

just buy it frozen then